dead chamelion :(

kanahthe1st

hey i know this is health but i thought someone might know what happened to my panther chamelion i woke up this morning to find him dead but i dont understand how he was eating drinking fine yesterday he was his normal self no sign of sickness the cage is clean hummidity was at 75 and temp was about 80 all night so any ideas what could happened to him I feel like maby i did something wrong and i dont want my other one to fall victom if its my fault.

Sorry to hear it : ( It is hard to say... How old was he? Maybe he ate something wrong. I think you can take him to the vet and they might be able to figure out why he died but it would just be for your piece of mind. Sorry for the loss.

Chameleon Info:
Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
Location - Where are you geographically located?

Fill this out and maybe these forums will be able to help you better in understanding what may have happened

my chamelion was a anomblie panther chamelion male 1 year old ive had him six almost 7 months
i held him once a week or less
feeding
i fed him crickets 5-6 of them evry other day they would be sprinckled with exoterra calcium+D3
crickets were gut loaded with medicated chick feed and a peice of fruit or vceggie
water
misted him and he had a waterfall misted 3-4 times a day for 1-2 minuets saw him drinking
looked for poop all looked fine except one looked a bit watery
he did have an eye infection 3 months ago but at the vet he was fine they checked for parisites then nothing wrong
cage
glass on two sides and mesh on the other two sides
not sure on dimensions cant find a ruler
lighting one heat lkight 60 watt bulb and 1 uvb light zilla (rainforest it said on the package)
lightes went on at 6-8 am depeding onm work and off 9-10pm
lowest the house gets is 78 basking ara could get to the 90s but ussaly was 85
hummidity 85-75 kept it up with misting an water fall
both read with stick ons
no live plants
location in my bedroom beside my bed
probly around 3-4 ft off ground
live in houston tx

I'm so sorry for your loss.

Some will say you gave too much d3 but thats just speculation. There is so many internal things that can go wrong with these guys. The only way to know what really went wrong is to have your vet perform a necropsy.

For future, you are supposed to use non medicated chicken feed. I am very sorry for your loss :(

man I realy would like to get a necropsy but id rather use the money to make sure my other dosent fall victom and no they are not in the same cage or were she had her own set up thanx for the sentiment i was just hoping someone would know

It can be difficult to tell whats going on without actually knowing everything that goes on with your care regiment. So sorry for your loss. PS. Its spelled with an "e" not an "i" like in the name of the website :)

sorry for your loss. a few things could have been the problem.

my chamelion was a anomblie panther chamelion male 1 year old ive had him six almost 7 months
i held him once a week or less
feeding
i fed him crickets 5-6 of them evry other day they would be sprinckled with exoterra calcium+D3
crickets were gut loaded with medicated chick feed and a peice of fruit or vceggie i dont know whats in medicated chicken feed but the word medicated says " NO " to me!.
water
misted him and he had a waterfall misted 3-4 times a day for 1-2 minuets saw him drinking if waterfalls are not cleaned regularly they get pee's in and pooped in accidently. that equals a bad time.
looked for poop all looked fine except one looked a bit watery
he did have an eye infection 3 months ago but at the vet he was fine they checked for parisites then nothing wrong
cage
glass on two sides and mesh on the other two sides
not sure on dimensions cant find a ruler
lighting one heat lkight 60 watt bulb and 1 uvb light zilla (rainforest it said on the package)CFL lights arent the best solution for uvb. many on here prefer the linear tube uvb.
lightes went on at 6-8 am depeding onm work and off 9-10pm
lowest the house gets is 78 basking ara could get to the 90s but ussaly was 85 with the stick on thermo's these temps are probably not correct.
hummidity 85-75 kept it up with misting an water fall
both read with stick ons these are not accurate and basically give you a round about in temps. many on here prefer digital thermometers to read correct temperatures.
no live plants
location in my bedroom beside my bed
probly around 3-4 ft off ground
live in houston tx

Sorry to hear that :( I had the same happen to my first veiled. However some improvements in the future could be: Waterfalls are not good for chams, produce bacteria. Live plants are absolutely better than fake, helps keep humidity and sometimes they will eat it (Make sure it is a non toxic-cham safe plant). Also, night time temps need to drop a bit. Again I am sorry but let us know if you get another baby :)

Back
Top Bottom