Daylight Blue - Opinions

Thorcita

So when I got my Veiled Chameleon at the reptile place the guy set me up with this lamp for heat:

Screen Shot 2021-09-12 at 11.20.27 PM.png
(watts might have been different, I don't remember off the top of my head)

I had a few questions about my chameleon and I got a lot of people saying that light is bad and to take it out immediately. Which I did. Now it's sitting there, sad. Before throwing it away, I wanted to read a few more comments, because I am not even 100% sure people know what this is? Like someone said my chameleon looks blue because I have a blue light (when first, the light doesn't give out blue light, the light is like a regular bulb and second, the picture they saw was with a regular bulb, so...)

Anyway, I am new to chameleons, so I would like people's opinions!

I used these with out issues when I started out. Then switched to one I preferred more. Red light bulbs are bad. I have not read anything concrete on these daylight blue bulbs being bad for them.

Now if your using the double dome with the compact UVB bulb in it then that does have to be upgraded to a linear fixture and bulb. Compact bulbs are not recommended for chams.

I haven’t heard blue daylight bulbs are bad but I have heard the red ones are bad for their eyes. If it doesn’t give out blue light I bet it would be okay

The blue ones are not super bad, in my opinion, but the problem I have is just how bright the darned things are. I've used a 100 watt bulb for Pete during winter, and it wasn't half as bright as the daylight blue at 25 watts. Thing was like a flashbang, but I'm not sure if it was an isolated incident.

I don't know of by studies on reptile yet for colored lights....but I do know that blue light can damage the retina in human eyes and increase the chances of cataract development.

However...I don't know if this lights block the blue light or increase the blue light given off yet. More hunting for info for me I guess.

I use to use these with my Leo’s in the beginning before I switched to heat pads. Even though they’re a different species, I noticed they developed eye sensitivity and had a harder time hunting. I took them out and their hunting got better. They could also stand being out of their hides with my bedroom lights on. They now have UVB and they haven’t had the same reaction as they did with the blue lights. I gave mine away long time ago.

This isnt hard proof, but just my experience with them. I wouldn’t use them if it was me.

Sunlight...why would we want to use colored lights on a chameleon cage when the sun....
"emits all colors of the rainbow more or less evenly and in physics, we call this combination "white""...
https://www.wtamu.edu/~cbaird/sq/mobile/2013/07/03/what-is-the-color-of-the-sun/

Now add this into the mix...
"atmospheric particles are very small and scatter the shorter-wavelength light much more efficiently than longer-wavelength light"...and blue light has shorter wavelengths".
https://www.forbes.com/sites/startswithabang/2017/09/08/why-the-sky-is-blue-according-to-science/

Last edited:
I don't use colored lights in reptile enclosures.
I DID use blue lights on Halloween in place of normal porch lighting (BC). Kids & parents alike seem to like them—sets a spooky mood. 😈

Back
Top Bottom