Day 2: Neville the Nosy Be - Shedding?

Zeyna04

Hello. It’s day 2 with my 3 month old chameleon Neville. I’m happy he was under his basking lamp this morning when I got up. I was slightly worried yesterday as he hadn’t basked at all but thanks to the advice on the forum I was able to understand all in good time as it was only his first day. He’s happily eating, drinking and going to the UVB light. However today I’ve noticed him rubbing his body and face along the branches and mesh enclosures. Could this be an early indication he is due to shed soon? And how long does shedding usually take in Juvenile Panther Chameleons (3 months) ? Thank you
Also some pictures of baby Neville having his breakfast❤️

Attachments

• 0E67668D-692D-460A-B512-978C1291CD3A.jpeg
    0E67668D-692D-460A-B512-978C1291CD3A.jpeg
    126.7 KB · Views: 90
  • 37E75F24-584D-471E-B336-F6FA001FC9BE.jpeg
    37E75F24-584D-471E-B336-F6FA001FC9BE.jpeg
    142 KB · Views: 74
  • CF18387A-FD05-4B97-8DF5-95C532711431.jpeg
    CF18387A-FD05-4B97-8DF5-95C532711431.jpeg
    125.1 KB · Views: 69
  • B1F83728-1A20-4D81-B0EA-596E948A00A8.jpeg
    B1F83728-1A20-4D81-B0EA-596E948A00A8.jpeg
    124.9 KB · Views: 70
However today I’ve noticed him rubbing his body and face along the branches and mesh enclosures. Could this be an early indication he is due to shed soon? And how long does shedding usually take in Juvenile Panther Chameleons (3 months) ? Thank you
Also some pictures of baby Neville having his breakfast❤
Mmmm... could be! And at that age, I would think probably. Has he been putting on length & weight?
Generally, a few days to a week or more, start to finish, depending. (per individual, humidity, temperature, and stuff.... )
The only way I know of to tell is just let it happen—you can't control it, so just sit back and observe!
Is he turning cloudy yet? That's usually one of the first signs.

You don't need to do a thing beyond normal maintenance. They know what they're doing, and don't need any help from us (especially don't try to help him along by pulling off loose skin—a definite Uh-uh).

Some lizards get a little... um... cranky during this process. Nothing to worry about either.

Neville, huh? Is there a story behind that that you'd like to regale us with? Hmmm? :LOL:

Mmmm... could be! And at that age, I would think probably. Has he been putting on length & weight?
Generally, a few days to a week or more, start to finish, depending. (per individual, humidity, temperature, and stuff.... )
The only way I know of to tell is just let it happen—you can't control it, so just sit back and observe!
Is he turning cloudy yet? That's usually one of the first signs.

You don't need to do a thing beyond normal maintenance. They know what they're doing, and don't need any help from us (especially don't try to help him along by pulling off loose skin—a definite Uh-uh).

Some lizards get a little... uh... cranky during this process. Nothing to worry about either.
Thank you so much. Oh of course I wouldn’t try pull any off of him or even try handle him till he’s finished. I’m not handling him at the moment anyway since he’s only been here 2 days. He’s definitely bigger from when I met him 2 weeks ago at the shop anyway so it wouldn’t surprise me if he is shedding. He does seem a bit cloudy actually. With the exception of the first couple of hours in which he arrived yesterday because he was stressed so he darkened up but that soon went. I’m only going to go near him when feeding in the morning. Other than that I’ll let him do his thing and observe quietly from an agreeable distance:)

Back
Top Bottom