Dart Frogs

Kent67

Retired Moderator
I'm guessing there are some pdf keepers here. I've had a couple auratus for maybe 4 years now and I finally provided a place for them to breed and then lo and behold, they did! From my very first clutch of eggs, the first two frogs out of the water:

29007lucifer_and_dennis.jpg

The one at the bottom left has been out of the water for about a week, the other one just came out today.

Nice! Darci and I (my girlfriend) are looking to get a set up for one of them new Exo-Terra tanks at the big show in Sept. They seem really cool, and I like the idea of something that you dont really have to maintain every day! What do you feed yours?

They're so easy. I've had the vivarium set up for 4 years or so and I've never done anything more than clean the glass a few times. It's kinda like a reef tank in that it becomes it's own self maintaining ecosystem. I feed the adults 1 week old crickets and the babies are on fruit flies, although they could take pinheads if I had a closer source for them.

i did

i did hav poison dart frogs but i dont hav success with them so i lost mine yesterday surprisingly cause i thought it was doin well anyway how do u hav urs set up?

Whoops, forgot to post a pic but to be honest it would probably be disappointing. It's really nothing special. Just a 20L loosely sealed to keep in humidity. There's 4 or 5 inches of moist soil, some moss over the soil, and one pothos that has gone wild. To breed in they have a half coconut shell over a petri dish. That's really about it. :)

So sometimes you learn something that really makes you kick yourself in the ass. I've always wanted to try Dendrobates azureus but was afraid to spend that much on frogs. I bought a couple 8 month olds at the show a week ago and they are doing great. I have seen one of them hiding once. Talk about great display animals! You have to reach in and just about touch them before they show any fear! I'd heard they were bold but it is so different from my auratus. Anyway, I love em already! And they eat anything from as small as ff's to 2 week crickets.

Just took this one, hanging out together:
29007azureus5.jpg

This one stays on the ground more and was the one I found inside the coconut hut a couple days ago:
29007azureus4.jpg

I'm hoping they end up being a male and female. I think the one on top of the coconut hut here looks like a possible male:
29007azureus3.jpg

This one likes to chill right here under the bromeliad flower. I sure don't mind :cool:
29007brom.jpg

Possible to see pics of the whole set up? ...Very interested ... Congrats on the babies...Hopefully I can talk the
Mrs. into letting me keep some here in the house =0)

hey hairfarm i've been wanting to get some dendrobates azureus for along time. this is my tank i made about a year ago, i'm waiting to move into a decent apartment before i plant it and let it balence out. the real kicker is i discovered black jungle was 10 mins from where i grew up after i moved to california. DOH!

Attachments

• froghouse.jpg
    froghouse.jpg
    202.8 KB · Views: 213
  • lfetSIDE.jpg
    lfetSIDE.jpg
    228.6 KB · Views: 214
Here's the two setups. The side by side tanks are for my auratus adults and their froglets.

Attachments

• auratus setup.jpg
    auratus setup.jpg
    140.3 KB · Views: 209
  • azureus setup.jpg
    azureus setup.jpg
    178.1 KB · Views: 219
i think it's different for each species and size of enclosure plays a big roll. i've been focusing on cham stuff for the last few months so i'm a bit rusty, but i know the dendrobates azueres(the blue ones) can be kept as a mated pair and possible one male and 2 females(not quite sure). and i know there are a few types that can be kept in larger groups. but if you have a massive enclosure(the best kind), with enough little areas for the frogs to claim. then i have read, you can keep more and different types together.

Of the bigger species like auratus, azureus, and tinctorius two females kept with a male will fight for him. If there is no male, two females can live together. The D. leucomelas (bumblebee poison frog) are social and can be kept in large groups. I don't know about how the thumbnail species are kept.

As for displays with multiple species I've found the general rule amongst hobbyists is that "if" it is to be done the vivarium must be large enough for them to establish totally seperate territories. Even though they occur quite some physical distance apart, they are evolutionarily close enough to easily hybrid which is very frowned upon in the hobby. You could do it and just not provide any place for them to raise tadpoles.

We have decide to venture into the PDFs in the near future ... I have a ton of empty 10's and 20's lying around due to my Saltwater Addiction lol ... I am going to start working on them next weekend and hoping to have some plants in them by this time next month and some actual frogs the following months... very excited...

Back
Top Bottom