Darkness!! And inactivity

Levi's

Chameleon Info:

• Your Chameleon - I have a veiled chameleon he is around 8 months old now and has been in my care for around 3 months.
  • Handling - he used to walk out onto my hand because he wanted out of his enclosure very badly. But I have gotten a bigger enclosure for him
  • Feeding - I recently took him off a very unhealthy diet consisting of mealworms and super worms. I e moved him into a cricket diet and soon to mix with dubia roaches. I also feed him dandelion leaves with that. I put a multivitamin on the crickets or used to be worms twice a week. I've been told not to use a calcium powder because it contains d3.
  • Watering - I never see my chameleon drinking. I do have a dripper that runs all day long in his enclosure and I spray 3-4 times a day sense it's been very hot.
  • Fecal Description - his poop looks normal and I have seen what healthy stuff looks like and it matches. I have no idea if hes ever been tested for pestisides
  • History - he used to be on a solid diet of dubia roaches but I kinda messed up on the food situation for a while and he is being grazed back into a healthy diet.

Cage Info:

• Cage Type - I have a 2x2x4 screen cage.
  • Lighting - he has a basking spot that is directly 10 inches away from his heating lamp that comes on automatically for 12 hours a day.
  • Temperature - his ambient temp is usually around 76 but recently has gone up in the 80's. His basking spot is around 90-95
  • Humidity - I have this little gauge from the pet store that I'm not sure is reliable but it measures around 70-80 most of the time
  • Plants - I have two dwarf umbrella trees a golden pothos and a corn plant for the middle. I also have some fake foilage to fill in some gaps
  • Placement - he is located in my room his cage is roughly 6 feet away from the door. My room sometimes reaches a high traffic. He is almost to the ceiling of my room.
  • Location - I'm located in washington
Current Problem - so he is always very dark especially when he goes lower in his cage to explore which is not very often. I know I'm just taking him off of a bad diet and I'm not really sure how long it takes for that to really kick in but I'm very concerned something could be wrong with him. He has also been going to his sleeping spot and settling in earlier then he usually does recently. And I do catch him holding his mouth open in his basking spot quit often. I do beleive this is because he is dehydrated because I never see him drink. But I do have a fulltime dripper in his enclosure. I would like to know if I'm doing anything wrong or if I need to change anything.

P.s the dart board has been removed

Attachments

• 20200625_172709.jpg
    20200625_172709.jpg
    130.8 KB · Views: 85
Hi. Putting my feedback in red for you. ?
Chameleon Info:

• Your Chameleon - I have a veiled chameleon he is around 8 months old now and has been in my care for around 3 months.
  • Handling - he used to walk out onto my hand because he wanted out of his enclosure very badly. But I have gotten a bigger enclosure for him
  • Feeding - I recently took him off a very unhealthy diet consisting of mealworms and super worms. I e moved him into a cricket diet and soon to mix with dubia roaches. I also feed him dandelion leaves with that. I put a multivitamin on the crickets or used to be worms twice a week. I've been told not to use a calcium powder because it contains d3. He doesn’t really need anything other than insects in his diet, but giving a treat of a small amount of fruit or veggie that he likes is ok on occasion. Attaching feeder and gutload graphics for you. You may want to start switching him to feeding every other day. Whose ever told you not to give calcium is wrong. He needs it as well as some D3. Standard supplement schedule is: phosphorus free calcium without D3 on every feeding except one per week. That one feeding per week you are going to alternate between a calcium with D3 and a multivitamin. So weeks 1&3 would be 1 feeding dusted with calcium with D3, weeks 2&4 is 1 feeding dusted with a multivitamin. There are other supplement schedules but this is the basic one and one that I use.
  • Watering - I never see my chameleon drinking. I do have a dripper that runs all day long in his enclosure and I spray 3-4 times a day sense it's been very hot. They can be secretive about drinking.
  • Fecal Description - his poop looks normal and I have seen what healthy stuff looks like and it matches. I have no idea if hes ever been tested for pestisides Is always a good idea to have a fecal check for parasites.
  • History - he used to be on a solid diet of dubia roaches but I kinda messed up on the food situation for a while and he is being grazed back into a healthy diet.

Cage Info:

• Lighting - he has a basking spot that is directly 10 inches away from his heating lamp that comes on automatically for 12 hours a day. What about uvb? I see a linear fixture but what is it? He needs a linear T5HO with a 5.0 (or Arcadia 6%) uvb bulb.
  • Temperature - his ambient temp is usually around 76 but recently has gone up in the 80's. His basking spot is around 90-95
  • Humidity - I have this little gauge from the pet store that I'm not sure is reliable but it measures around 70-80 most of the time This is too humid. It needs to be between 30-50% during the day. Heat + high humidity = upper respiratory infection risk. Perhaps you might want to run the dripper for just an hour or so a couple of times a day and spray just 3 times a day.
  • Plants - I have two dwarf umbrella trees a golden pothos and a corn plant for the middle. I also have some fake foilage to fill in some gaps Definitely get rid of the fake plants. I moved mine to hang on the outside of their doors to give them more feeling of being hidden.
  • Placement - he is located in my room his cage is roughly 6 feet away from the door. My room sometimes reaches a high traffic. He is almost to the ceiling of my room. Awesome! The like to be higher and able to look down upon us.
Current Problem - so he is always very dark especially when he goes lower in his cage to explore which is not very often. I know I'm just taking him off of a bad diet and I'm not really sure how long it takes for that to really kick in but I'm very concerned something could be wrong with him. He has also been going to his sleeping spot and settling in earlier then he usually does recently. And I do catch him holding his mouth open in his basking spot quit often. This could be due to being too hot. How are you measuring your temps? Analog gauges aren’t reliable and heat guns can’t measure basking area well. As the humidity has been too high, it’s possible that he may have a respiratory infection. Any stringy saliva or popping noises when he breathes? I do beleive this is because he is dehydrated because I never see him drink. Since you have a secretive drinker, you have to go by the color of his urate. If it’s white or cream colored, he’s hydrated. But I do have a fulltime dripper in his enclosure. I would like to know if I'm doing anything wrong or if I need to change anything. Since he hasn’t been getting any calcium or D3 he is at risk for having mbd. You need to get him started on the correct supplements ASAP. If you don’t have the uvb I mentioned above, you also need to get that ASAP. You don’t have a huge amount of changes to make, but they are essential. Just an add on...you could add some more branches to his enclosure. Start growing those pothos vines upward to provide more coverage. They grow fast!

P.s the dart board has been removed How is he supposed to amuse himself now if he can’t play darts?
BD72AE4B-0454-4BAD-87FF-154C70A91A25.jpeg
3A462D50-43DC-4137-83B0-C47AD5DBF49A.jpeg

I'm guessing too hot. Whenever mine get too ho they go super bright and gape at the bottom of their cage. My panther is kept 80-85 on the basking spot

Hi. Putting my feedback in red for you. ?
Chameleon Info:

• Feeding - I recently took him off a very unhealthy diet consisting of mealworms and super worms. I e moved him into a cricket diet and soon to mix with dubia roaches. I also feed him dandelion leaves with that. I put a multivitamin on the crickets or used to be worms twice a week. I've been told not to use a calcium powder because it contains d3. He doesn’t really need anything other than insects in his diet, but giving a treat of a small amount of fruit or veggie that he likes is ok on occasion. Attaching feeder and gutload graphics for you. You may want to start switching him to feeding every other day. Whose ever told you not to give calcium is wrong. He needs it as well as some D3. Standard supplement schedule is: phosphorus free calcium without D3 on every feeding except one per week. That one feeding per week you are going to alternate between a calcium with D3 and a multivitamin. So weeks 1&3 would be 1 feeding dusted with calcium with D3, weeks 2&4 is 1 feeding dusted with a multivitamin. There are other supplement schedules but this is the basic one and one that I use.
  • Watering - I never see my chameleon drinking. I do have a dripper that runs all day long in his enclosure and I spray 3-4 times a day sense it's been very hot. They can be secretive about drinking.
  • Fecal Description - his poop looks normal and I have seen what healthy stuff looks like and it matches. I have no idea if hes ever been tested for pestisides Is always a good idea to have a fecal check for parasites.

Cage Info:

• Lighting - he has a basking spot that is directly 10 inches away from his heating lamp that comes on automatically for 12 hours a day. What about uvb? I see a linear fixture but what is it? He needs a linear T5HO with a 5.0 (or Arcadia 6%) uvb bulb.
  • Humidity - I have this little gauge from the pet store that I'm not sure is reliable but it measures around 70-80 most of the time This is too humid. It needs to be between 30-50% during the day. Heat + high humidity = upper respiratory infection risk. Perhaps you might want to run the dripper for just an hour or so a couple of times a day and spray just 3 times a day.
  • Plants - I have two dwarf umbrella trees a golden pothos and a corn plant for the middle. I also have some fake foilage to fill in some gaps Definitely get rid of the fake plants. I moved mine to hang on the outside of their doors to give them more feeling of being hidden.
  • Placement - he is located in my room his cage is roughly 6 feet away from the door. My room sometimes reaches a high traffic. He is almost to the ceiling of my room. Awesome! The like to be higher and able to look down upon us.
Current Problem - so he is always very dark especially when he goes lower in his cage to explore which is not very often. I know I'm just taking him off of a bad diet and I'm not really sure how long it takes for that to really kick in but I'm very concerned something could be wrong with him. He has also been going to his sleeping spot and settling in earlier then he usually does recently. And I do catch him holding his mouth open in his basking spot quit often. This could be due to being too hot. How are you measuring your temps? Analog gauges aren’t reliable and heat guns can’t measure basking area well. As the humidity has been too high, it’s possible that he may have a respiratory infection. Any stringy saliva or popping noises when he breathes? I do beleive this is because he is dehydrated because I never see him drink. Since you have a secretive drinker, you have to go by the color of his urate. If it’s white or cream colored, he’s hydrated. But I do have a fulltime dripper in his enclosure. I would like to know if I'm doing anything wrong or if I need to change anything. Since he hasn’t been getting any calcium or D3 he is at risk for having mbd. You need to get him started on the correct supplements ASAP. If you don’t have the uvb I mentioned above, you also need to get that ASAP. You don’t have a huge amount of changes to make, but they are essential. Just an add on...you could add some more branches to his enclosure. Start growing those pothos vines upward to provide more coverage. They grow fast!

P.s the dart board has been removed How is he supposed to amuse himself now if he can’t play darts?
View attachment 272223View attachment 272224
Thanks so much for this this helps so much!! He does have the Uvb. I was told that it emits d3 and that's why he didnt need d3 but I'm not sure. Thank you again I will be making some adjustments. :)

Back
Top Bottom