Darker than normal

Jordycakes

So i had the wrong bulb, i had a UVA, but i now have a UVB my female has gone under it a turned alot darker than usual is this her soaking up the UVB, she seems to get brighter when i went in the tank to give her some attention but she didnt want to come out im using a 7% as recommend for the type is have (von hohnels).

Thank you
Jordan

So i had the wrong bulb, i had a UVA, but i now have a UVB my female has gone under it a turned alot darker than usual is this her soaking up the UVB, she seems to get brighter when i went in the tank to give her some attention but she didnt want to come out im using a 7% as recommend for the type is have (von hohnels).

Thank you
Jordan

Do you still have another basking bulb for her? UVB is required, but so is a standard bulb or a uva bulb that puts off heat. if she's under the light with dark coloring, she is probably trying to get heat.

I did have a 2% UVA, but CarlC from this forum said keep them at around 26C which it is with the UVB.

unless you're using a mercury vapor bulb with both UVA and UVB and heat, you need two separate bulbs. there overall enclosure needs to be kept at around 26C but they still need a basking spot that will reach about 32-33 C. they need to raise their body temp once in a while for digestion and overall health. you can usually manage this with a standard 60 w household bulb over a corner of the enclosure with a branch below it that they can site on to bask.

unless you're using a mercury vapor bulb with both UVA and UVB and heat, you need two separate bulbs. there overall enclosure needs to be kept at around 26C but they still need a basking spot that will reach about 32-33 C. they need to raise their body temp once in a while for digestion and overall health. you can usually manage this with a standard 60 w household bulb over a corner of the enclosure with a branch below it that they can site on to bask.

to clarify, all you really need is a UVB bulb and 60 w household bulb for a basking spot. And you're good to go. Unless you have large enclosure which might require something larger than a 60 w bulb for a goof basking temp.

Now the bulb has gone off as the timer is set, she has gone back to her normal colour so i think she was just soaking up the UVB as i thought i had it but i didnt i just had UVA.

chameleons always lighten up for sleep. even if its only 15C in the enclosure at night. They will brighten up for sleep. You need a basking spot for him/her.

Well from all the care sheets and from another member (CarlC) on here,iv been told the species i keep (Trioceros hoehnelii) the warmest spot sound be at around 26C
this isnt a grump reply although it might sound like one its just what iv been told and have read :)

Jordan

Back
Top Bottom