Dark Lateral Line?

Most sites are wrong too about the husbandry info. Hotter basking temps leads to shorter lives...

Most keep their males no hotter then 85 max at basking.

Everything on this site is correct info done by Bill Strand... There is an image guide that will tell you specifics. https://chameleonacademy.com/panther-chameleon-care/

Remember if you drop using the LoD at feedings you have to replace it with a calcium without D3. Feeders must always be supplemented because of the high phosphorus levels they have. So we balance those levels out with plain calcium without D3.

I am concerned about his size. He is very small for a 9 month old. Personally I would get a fecal sample run to make sure he does not have a parasite load. This is a very common reason for them to not get to the size they should be at.
You have a male because you can see the bulge in the first image you posted.

Thanks for all the info, I'll go through that site and lower his basking temp.

In terms of the feeding I dust every feeding, with one day off. Your suggesting I dust calcium on the day off?

In terms of his size, like I said he went on a cricket hunger strike for the first few months of his life only eating fruitflies, so I think it really stunted his growth, probably like 2 months. Cause he's looked like everyone's 6 month old panthers.

He's only transformed in the past week, or so dramatically. I can barely recognize him, so I think he's hitting that rapid development phase I've heard about. Mainly the lateral stripe turning from white to dark brown had me worried, but no one's really addressing it. I'm kind of curious what makes that change, mood, age/maturing, stress, D3 tox, etc.

Thanks for all the info, I'll go through that site and lower his basking temp.

In terms of the feeding I dust every feeding, with one day off. Your suggesting I dust calcium on the day off?

In terms of his size, like I said he went on a cricket hunger strike for the first few months of his life only eating fruitflies, so I think it really stunted his growth, probably like 2 months. Cause he's looked like everyone's 6 month old panthers.

He's only transformed in the past week, or so dramatically. I can barely recognize him, so I think he's hitting that rapid development phase I've heard about. Mainly the lateral stripe turning from white to dark brown had me worried, but no one's really addressing it. I'm kind of curious what makes that change, mood, age/maturing, stress, D3 tox, etc.
Anytime you are feeding and not using the LoD you have to dust with the plain calcium without D3. Should you choose to drop a few of the LoD feedings then those would be plain calcium without D3 to balance the calcium to phosphorus ratio of the insect.

So that is honestly one of the concerns... Most babies do not go on a hunger strike unless something is wrong. This and due to his current size is why I would get the fecal done.

How much is he eating now and how often?

The lateral stripe is normal :) What Locale is he?

Anytime you are feeding and not using the LoD you have to dust with the plain calcium without D3. Should you choose to drop a few of the LoD feedings then those would be plain calcium without D3 to balance the calcium to phosphorus ratio of the insect.

So that is honestly one of the concerns... Most babies do not go on a hunger strike unless something is wrong. This and due to his current size is why I would get the fecal done.

How much is he eating now and how often?

The lateral stripe is normal :) What Locale is he?

He gorges now, basically wakes up and waits by his yogurt bin for food. I also have little cups I'll put in various places with silkworms and he'll run over to them Everytime.

I try to aim for 10-12 crickets a day and a silk worm, sometimes I'll skip a day with a silkworm and try other stuff, but hornworms scare him and I can never catch him actually eating the butterworms. I have a connect for some dubias roaches so I might get into them soon.

At the moment I've been dusting every feeding, just started backing off once every week or so. Until I get that calcium, I should just dust lightly every day then?

He is a nosy mitsio locale, I don't know why he went on a hunger strike, maybe a bad encounter with a cricket or a bad poop? Because he was eating crickets the day I got him, the just stopped and I would try every day for hours, then reluctantly load his cage with fruit flies, I'm kinda just glad he ate something and he's back on track now. His poops have always been perfect, white tips with a brown healthy body, they are getting quite large now.

Thank you for the lateral stripe answer, I peaked into today when his light turned on and saw him sleeping with his normal white stripe. So that's good, appreciate taking the time.

He gorges now, basically wakes up and waits by his yogurt bin for food. I also have little cups I'll put in various places with silkworms and he'll run over to them Everytime.

I try to aim for 10-12 crickets a day and a silk worm, sometimes I'll skip a day with a silkworm and try other stuff, but hornworms scare him and I can never catch him actually eating the butterworms. I have a connect for some dubias roaches so I might get into them soon.

At the moment I've been dusting every feeding, just started backing off once every week or so. Until I get that calcium, I should just dust lightly every day then?

He is a nosy mitsio locale, I don't know why he went on a hunger strike, maybe a bad encounter with a cricket or a bad poop? Because he was eating crickets the day I got him, the just stopped and I would try every day for hours, then reluctantly load his cage with fruit flies, I'm kinda just glad he ate something and he's back on track now. His poops have always been perfect, white tips with a brown healthy body, they are getting quite large now.

Thank you for the lateral stripe answer, I peaked into today when his light turned on and saw him sleeping with his normal white stripe. So that's good, appreciate taking the time.
Ok sounds good. No butterworms though. They can cause allergic reactions.

Ahhhh cool locale we hardly ever see that one here in the forum. Yep so look up the locale you will see that lateral line on them. They tend to be white when they mature.

Ok sounds good. No butterworms though. They can cause allergic reactions.

Ahhhh cool locale we hardly ever see that one here in the forum. Yep so look up the locale you will see that lateral line on them. They tend to be white when they mature.
Yeah all day he just sits like this color though basking then goes and chills in the shade, seems normal, but the colors got me worried.

Attachments

• 16092993144184970783877683015987.jpg
    16092993144184970783877683015987.jpg
    164.6 KB · Views: 83
  • 16092993297346397108614369862431.jpg
    16092993297346397108614369862431.jpg
    177.5 KB · Views: 77
Yeah all day he just sits like this color though basking then goes and chills in the shade, seems normal, but the colors got me worried.
Can you take a picture of your enclosure including the lighting so I can see everything?

Back
Top Bottom