Dark, inactive and not feeding.

Robyn.lux

Hiya guys, new owner here so just a bit worried and looking for advice or help.
I got my cham yesterday, he's a masoala panther. I had to travel for a couple of hours with him and left him in the box whilst I set up his viv, which is huge compared to the one in pet store. He's been in the coldest corner since I put him in there 14/15 hours a go.
He did have a nice big drink from his dripper last night before he settled into his corner.
He's gone really dark and won't take food, I've put him a couple of locusts and crickets in, just in case he changes his mind (gut loaded and calcium dusted).
The heat levels are fine, as is the humidity.
Is he just grumpy because of the move and needs time to adjust? If so how long is it reasonable for him to be this way before I need to worry?
I've put a cover over his viv for now so he can settle without too much stimulation and movement outside the viv.
Is it a case of just leave him alone and see how he gets on in a couple of days?
Thanks for reading. Please be kind, I am new to this and just want the best for him.

He’s not going to be very happy with you for at least a week, maybe two, totally normal. Just keep doing what your doing(leaving him alone) and he will settle down soon.

While we’re waiting for that to happen would you like us to review your husbandry? That way you can rest easy knowing he is getting everything he needs from you and his viv. Can you answer these questions and post pics of him and his viv?

Chameleon Info:

◦ Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?

◦ Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?

◦ Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?

◦ Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?

◦ Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?

◦ Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?

◦ History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:

◦ Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?

◦ Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?

◦ Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?

◦ Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?

◦ Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?

◦ Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?

◦ Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

--------------

Please Note:

1 The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.

2 Photos can be very helpful.

I've misted his viv around 4 times in the last 16 hours but that's because it's a new set up and I want to make sure it's all good and soaked. I'll mist again tonight one more time and carry on from tomorrow morning twice (or three depending), once in the morning and again in the evening for one minute.
His viv is a glass exo terra extra large extra tall (90x90x45).
Currently his basking temp is 32°c and, his ambient is at 24°c the coldest part of his tank is 21.2°c. I am using exo terra ceramic heat bulb and hood.
I have a UVB lamp the full size of the viv the wattage of which escapes me and I don't want to keep approaching the viv but the guy I got him off assured me it was the best of the best.
He's around 5 months old, a Masoala panther.
I would like to handle him every day but with how he is looking right now I'd rather leave him alone.
He has a clean bill of health.
I am using live plants, two medium sized pothos plants. He has lots of wood and vines to jump on.
I've gut loaded his food with dandelion leaves and apple. And dusted calcium. He just won't take them. They're currently in his viv and I'm confused, do I just leave them in there? He's really not interested.
I have a naturalistic set up, so isopods in the soil etc.
His vivarium is around two and half foot off of the floor because of it's size. No fans, vents or loud traffic.
He also has a dripper that I will allow to drip for 15 minutes at a time every few hours.
I saw him drink last night, so I know he knows where to find the water, he's just not interested in anything today.
I only picked him up yesterday though. He was very active last night and seemed quite happy but today, not so much. He's barely moving. He's not drinking or eating but it is his first day. My concern also is that I won't be able to find the crickets he doesnt eat, will they harm him?

Attachments

• IMG_20180813_132849.jpg
    IMG_20180813_132849.jpg
    372.4 KB · Views: 169
  • IMG_20180813_132901.jpg
    IMG_20180813_132901.jpg
    294.7 KB · Views: 169
Ditch the ceramic heat emitter. Use an incandescent bulb for basking. If your ambient temps go below 13*C/55*F at night then use the ceramic heat emitter.

You can use a feeder cup so you can monitor his feeding for the next few weeks.

Ditch the ceramic heat emitter. Use an incandescent bulb for basking. If your ambient temps go below 13*C/55*F at night then use the ceramic heat emitter.

You can use a feeder cup so you can monitor his feeding for the next few weeks.

Hiya, what is the difference between ceramic and incandescent?

I am going to be making him a feeding cup very soon.

You only need the basking spot at the desired temp. Generally if you have the basking spot at around 85-90*F (29C-33C) the rest of the enclosure will remain around the 70F (21C) range unless you keep you house or room really cold.

You'll mainly need a ceramic heat emitter if you need to warm the enclosure at night since no lights should be used at night. Again, if the temp stays above the temp I mentioned in my last post then you wont need the CHE.

I'm surprised they emit enough heat? Especially to keep the whole viv at the right temp.
You would have to play with the wattages to find the right one for you, just like you would a ceramic. Personally all I use is ceramic, not sure why he is saying to ditch it, maybe he can explain...

You only need the basking spot at the desired temp. Generally if you have the basking spot at around 85-90*F (29C-33C) the rest of the enclosure will remain around the 70F (21C) range unless you keep you house or room really cold.

You'll mainly need a ceramic heat emitter if you need to warm the enclosure at night since no lights should be used at night. Again, if the temp stays above the temp I mentioned in my last post then you wont need the CHE.

Interesting. I might look into that in the future when he is properly settled I don't want to start moving stuff around at the moment. Although in winter my apartment drops extremely cold as it's high ceiling and doesn't seem to hold heat at all.

Thanks for the information.

You would have to play with the wattages to find the right one for you, just like you would a ceramic. Personally all I use is ceramic, not sure why he is saying to ditch it, maybe he can explain...

Yeah, I've read a lot that ceramic was the best but now I've seen a bunch of posts about incandescent, I'll be sticking withto ceramic for now but maybe after more research, I'll see.

The light from the incandescent bulb draws the chameleon to it so he finds the heat. If you are using ceramic and it's working great, but for a new chameleon that doesn't know the cage I would definitely use a heat source that gives off light during the day.

The light from the incandescent bulb draws the chameleon to it so he finds the heat. If you are using ceramic and it's working great, but for a new chameleon that doesn't know the cage I would definitely use a heat source that gives off light during the day.
That makes sense. Would a normal home lamp shining above the heat lamp do the trick do you think to draw him up to the heat?

It has like a golden glow, it's not super bright so I'm not sure if it will work but it's certainly worth a try to pull him towards the heat. I appreciate your input, think you.

Good news, he fed today. I used an old Greek yogurt pot and he ate around 9 crickets and a locust. He let me handle him and he started to fire up, not quite his usual bright white and red but I'll take it.

Awesome, he will warm up to you at his own pace! Just remember to let him dictate what that pace is...

... and you understand that him flaring up while handeling is not a good thing right?

I've misted his viv around 4 times in the last 16 hours but that's because it's a new set up and I want to make sure it's all good and soaked. I'll mist again tonight one more time and carry on from tomorrow morning twice (or three depending), once in the morning and again in the evening for one minute
Your misting sessions should be at least 5-7 min each so he has time to clean his eyes.

You mentioned you want to handel him daily, most chams will not tolerate that well. Each is unique and yours may be ok with it but this is another area where you have to let him dictate the rules. Chams are really more of a hobby, not a pet.

You need a real gutload, I recommend cricket crack.

What kinds of calcium/vitamins do you have and how often do you plan to use them?

Chams are tree dwellers, his viv should be placed at the highest point in the room that you can still easily reach for maintenance. This will also speed up the process of him not seeing you as a threat. To chams height = security.

And he will outgrow that viv VERY quickly!

Your misting sessions should be at least 5-7 min each so he has time to clean his eyes.

You mentioned you want to handel him daily, most chams will not tolerate that well. Each is unique and yours may be ok with it but this is another area where you have to let him dictate the rules. Chams are really more of a hobby, not a pet.

You need a real gutload, I recommend cricket crack.

What kinds of calcium/vitamins do you have and how often do you plan to use them?

Chams are tree dwellers, his viv should be placed at the highest point in the room that you can still easily reach for maintenance. This will also speed up the process of him not seeing you as a threat. To chams height = security.

And he will outgrow that viv VERY quickly!

Sorry, I really don’t mean to hijack this thread but I have a question for you. I just built an outdoor cage for my cham but it’s too hot for him out there at night (I live in South Florida). I was planning on taking him out there as much as possible. He’s been out there today and has been more active than I’ve ever seen him. Problem is I’d have to handle him almost daily to walk him out. Do you suggest I limit outside time to every other day instead?

You will have to judge by how he reacts to your moving him. Mine barely reacts to me putting my hand in front of him and climbs on with a little encouragement. If you move him outside a few times and he still flares up then do it less often. If he barley reacts then do it daily. You always have to measure stress versus value. Natural sunlight has value.
These podcasts may help you with your handling techniques.
https://www.chameleonbreeder.com/podcast/ep-80-handling-your-chameleon/
https://www.chameleonbreeder.com/podcast/ep-85-taming-your-chameleon/

Back
Top Bottom