Dark Colored Cham?

Moe

Our cham is approx 3 mo. old and in the last week or so seems very dark in color, almost black on his belly. He's eating and drinking as normal and moving about the same. Is this normal to be so dark? The basking spot is 92 degrees and tank has 60% humidity. We have not yet seen any color at this point as well. Any thoughts? thanks

1. Cage type: What size and type of cage (screen, glass, etc.)?

2. Lighting: What brand is your UVB light? How long have you been using it? How long are your lights on each day? Do you leave any lights on at night? Where are the lights? on top?

3. Water: Have you observed your chameleon drinking? How often do you mist? Do you have a dripper?

4. Food: Have you observed your chameleon eating? What is the chameleon's diet? Where do you get your live feeder prey? What are you feeding the feeders? Fresh veggies? Gut load? If you use a commercial gut load what is the brand? If you make your own what are the ingredients?

5. Supplements: What type of supplement(s) do you use? Brand name(s)? How often do you use supplements?

6. Plants & branches: What plants do you have? Are your plants alive or fake? Do the plants provide lots of coverage where the chameleon will feel safe? Can you see your chameleon most of the time or can it hide from your view?

7. Chameleon facts: How old is the chameleon? Do you know if it is wild caught or captive born? Did you get the chameleon at a show? Breeder?

8. Handling: Do you handle your chameleon? How often and how long? What is its reaction to you? Is the cage in a quiet part of the house or is it in a busy or noisy area? Any big stereo speakers near the cage? Is your chameleon alone in the cage? Can your chameleon see any other herps or pets from the cage?

9. Veterinarians: Do you have a veterinarian who KNOWS chameleons?

also do keep in mind that this may just be a temporary thing that your chameleon is doing! some of my chameleons turn almost black showing a relaxed coloration...

1. Cage: 18x18x18 Glass Exoterra
2. UVB lightling: Single 18" Reptiglo 5.0 UV
Other light is 100 watt heat lamp.
3. Lights on 12.5 hr a day on a auto timer. All lights off at night
4. We have seen him drink from water droplets on leaves. Mist 3 x per day. Eats crickets with gut load food from premium crickets. No other veggies given. Eats approx. 8-10 small crickets per day.
5. We give him Reptical Vitamins and Calcium once/week.
6. Trees are live Ficus and assorted brances throughout the tank. Many hiding places and able to hide, we have to look for him, but we can find him.
7. Approx 3 mo. old and not sure if wild/captive breed. We purchased him from the Reptile room in Hayward CA.
8. We try to handle him 1 x per week. Takes a bit to get him to crawl on our hands. Seems to be getting better coming out of cage.

1. Cage: 18x18x18 Glass Exoterra
2. UVB lightling: Single 18" Reptiglo 5.0 UV
Other light is 100 watt heat lamp.
3. Lights on 12.5 hr a day on a auto timer. All lights off at night
4. We have seen him drink from water droplets on leaves. Mist 3 x per day. Eats crickets with gut load food from premium crickets. No other veggies given. Eats approx. 8-10 small crickets per day.
5. We give him Reptical Vitamins and Calcium once/week.
6. Trees are live Ficus and assorted brances throughout the tank. Many hiding places and able to hide, we have to look for him, but we can find him.
7. Approx 3 mo. old and not sure if wild/captive breed. We purchased him from the Reptile room in Hayward CA.
8. We try to handle him 1 x per week. Takes a bit to get him to crawl on our hands. Seems to be getting better coming out of cage.

GLASS CAGES ARE USUALLY NOT RECOMENDED, I GET 10X18X20'S FOR MY BABY CHAMELEONS...THEY ARE MADE OUT OF ALUMINUM SCREEN MESH

THE 100 WATT BULB MAY BE A BIT MUCH, I WOULD RECOMEND A 75 WATT BULB

FEEDING SEEMS TO BE OKAY! YOU MAY EVEN BE ABLE TO GIVE HIM AROUND 12-15 CRIX....ALSO YOU COULD INCORPORATE TREATS EVERY 2 DAYS

CALCIUM CAN BE GIVEN ALMOST EVRY DAY OF THE WEKK(MAYBE 5), AND I GIVE THE HERPTIVITE TO MY YOUNGLINGS ABOUT TWICE A WEEK.

EVERY THING ELSE SOUNDS PRETTY GOOD! HOPE THIS HELP, I AM SURE IF THERE IS ANY OTHER PROBLEMS A MEMBER FROM THIS GREAT FORUM COULD HELP!

GLASS CAGES ARE USUALLY NOT RECOMENDED, I GET 10X18X20'S FOR MY BABY CHAMELEONS...THEY ARE MADE OUT OF ALUMINUM SCREEN MESH

THE 100 WATT BULB MAY BE A BIT MUCH, I WOULD RECOMEND A 75 WATT BULB

FEEDING SEEMS TO BE OKAY! YOU MAY EVEN BE ABLE TO GIVE HIM AROUND 12-15 CRIX....ALSO YOU COULD INCORPORATE TREATS EVERY 2 DAYS

CALCIUM CAN BE GIVEN ALMOST EVRY DAY OF THE WEKK(MAYBE 5), AND I GIVE THE HERPTIVITE TO MY YOUNGLINGS ABOUT TWICE A WEEK.

EVERY THING ELSE SOUNDS PRETTY GOOD! HOPE THIS HELP, I AM SURE IF THERE IS ANY OTHER PROBLEMS A MEMBER FROM THIS GREAT FORUM COULD HELP!

where do you get the10x 18x20 all aluminum baby cages?

where do you get the10x 18x20 all aluminum baby cages?

ESU makes a "Fresh Air Habitat" 12x16x20 all screen except bottom is plastic. Has been good for our little guy, although we will be making him a new "grownup cage" soon. I got the esu one at my local pet shop, but have seen them on ebay as well.

~BETH~

Back
Top Bottom