D3 and vitamins

Edmar1023

Established Member
Cham is only 2-3 months old.
image.jpg
So I have reptivite with d3 which I give my Cham every Sunday. My question is. Is that too much vitamins and d3 a moth? It would be 4 times a month. And another question is. I just have plain calcium with no d3. Should I get the usual cocktail of calcium, calcium w/ d3 and just a container of vitamin with out d3?

For years I have dusted with a phos free calcium powder at all but 4 feedings a month lightly. I dust 2 times a month (once every two weeks) with a phos free calcium/D3 powder lightly and the remaining two times (once every two weeks) I dust with a vitamin powder with a beta carotene source of vitamin A. Proformed sources of vitamin A like beta carotene are safe (can't usually be overdosed), but if your chameleon has symptoms of vitamin A deficiency or you want to as a precaution, you can give a preformed source separately with caution, once in a long while, because preformed sources can be overdosed.

For years I have dusted with a phos free calcium powder at all but 4 feedings a month lightly. I dust 2 times a month (once every two weeks) with a phos free calcium/D3 powder lightly and the remaining two times (once every two weeks) I dust with a vitamin powder with a beta carotene source of vitamin A. Proformed sources of vitamin A like beta carotene are safe (can't usually be overdosed), but if your chameleon has symptoms of vitamin A deficiency or you want to as a precaution, you can give a preformed source separately with caution, once in a long while, because preformed sources can be overdosed.
So my chameleon been closing his eye, sometimes both during the day. Like for a few mins. I read it could be lack of vitamin A? Or maybe the light? I had a repti bulb 100w. With I guess is equivilant. To a 10.0. But then switch it to a 5.0. Do u think by lowering it. He’s not digesting his vitamin A? Or do I have a problem now with health?

So my chameleon been closing his eye, sometimes both during the day. Like for a few mins. I read it could be lack of vitamin A? Or maybe the light? I had a repti bulb 100w. With I guess is equivilant. To a 10.0. But then switch it to a 5.0. Do u think by lowering it. He’s not digesting his vitamin A? Or do I have a problem now with health?
What exactly are you using for uvb and heat? Were you using a mercury vapor 2 in 1 bulb?

What exactly are you using for uvb and heat? Were you using a mercury vapor 2 in 1 bulb?
The 5.0 compact bulb that came with the kit. But T5 is on its way. And just the blue bulb that came with kit for heat.

Ok then what do you mean by repti bulb 100 watt?
So I had an old bulb sorry. It was the exo terra 100w. I was using that. But I got a new 5.0 zoomed compact bulb. Cuz I read they start to lose ubv power as they get older. But do u think this new 5.0 bulb may be burining his eyes? It’s about 3 inches away from the mesh. And the Cham is only 2/3 months old.

So I had an old bulb sorry. It was the exo terra 100w. I was using that. But I got a new 5.0 zoomed compact bulb. Cuz I read they start to lose ubv power as they get older. But do u think this new 5.0 bulb may be burining his eyes? It’s about 3 inches away from the mesh. And the Cham is only 2/3 months old.
Ok so this is what I am trying to figure out... Was the old bulb uvb and heat? If so when did you stop using it?

As far as the compact bulb how close is he getting to it? What is the actual distance from basking to the bottom of the fixture? They do not cause eye issues like they used to but they also do not put out the UVB far enough and wide enough which is why we do not use them and recommend the T5HO fixture and a 5.0 bulb.

Ok so this is what I am trying to figure out... Was the old bulb uvb and heat? If so when did you stop using it?

As far as the compact bulb how close is he getting to it? What is the actual distance from basking to the bottom of the fixture? They do not cause eye issues like they used to but they also do not put out the UVB far enough and wide enough which is why we do not use them and recommend the T5HO fixture and a 5.0 bulb.
It’s always been a bulb bulb for basking and all I changed was the exoterra 100w to a 5.0 compact. And they always been 3 inches off the mesh. Only had setup for about 3 weeks

It’s always been a bulb bulb for basking and all I changed was the exoterra 100w to a 5.0 compact. And they always been 3 inches off the mesh. Only had setup for about 3 weeks
Ok my confusion was you comparing a basking bulb to a 10.0 UVB compact bulb.

How far below the mesh is the basking branch?

About 6-7 inch.
Ok so if I am understanding you correctly you have the double dome fixture raised 3 inches off the top of the screen and then there is 6-7 inches between the mesh cage top and the basking branch. For a total of 9-10 inches from fixture to basking.

If this is the case he is getting no UVB at all with the compact bulb. If he has been under this for 3 weeks then he could be closing his eyes due to not having UVB that he has to have for D3 conversion.

Check out this video... Keeping in mind that the examples are shown without interference from a screen between the bulbs and the solarmeter. The screen reduces the UVB by about 40%. So the levels your seeing in the video are higher then what your even getting due to the screen on your cage reducing the UVI output.

Ok so if I am understanding you correctly you have the double dome fixture raised 3 inches off the top of the screen and then there is 6-7 inches between the mesh cage top and the basking branch. For a total of 9-10 inches from fixture to basking.

If this is the case he is getting no UVB at all with the compact bulb. If he has been under this for 3 weeks then he could be closing his eyes due to not having UVB that he has to have for D3 conversion.

Check out this video... Keeping in mind that the examples are shown without interference from a screen between the bulbs and the solarmeter. The screen reduces the UVB by about 40%. So the levels your seeing in the video are higher then what your even getting due to the screen on your cage reducing the UVI output.

I was afraid if that. You think there is damage made in the 3 weeks I had him? I got the t5 on its way.

I was afraid if that. You think there is damage made in the 3 weeks I had him? I got the t5 on its way.
FEC7223A-B3E4-4700-B55B-E484D9BE6F6B.png
This is the setup. It may be less than 7 inches from the mesh. I’ll measure exactly when I get home. The 1st branch is basking branch.

It is hard with these guys. If even one aspect of the whole husbandry picture is off then it can effect them. And then there are the issues like parasites which you do not know unless you get a fecal done. I can not say directly that this is what is causing the issue. But what I can say is that no UVB lighting will effect him and could be causing the issue. That with compact bulbs they literally have to be sitting on top of the bulb which then in turn poses risk of a thermal burn.

This is why we like the help form on this forum. It allows the experienced members to go through all key components of your husbandry to see if there are areas that should be improved on.

It is hard with these guys. If even one aspect of the whole husbandry picture is off then it can effect them. And then there are the issues like parasites which you do not know unless you get a fecal done. I can not say directly that this is what is causing the issue. But what I can say is that no UVB lighting will effect him and could be causing the issue. That with compact bulbs they literally have to be sitting on top of the bulb which then in turn poses risk of a thermal burn.

This is why we like the help form on this forum. It allows the experienced members to go through all key components of your husbandry to see if there are areas that should be improved on.
Ok sounds good. My t5 is on its way & will install ASAP.

Back
Top Bottom