D3 and sun - advice needed please

little leaf

Avid Member
I thought there was a tread on this- but I can not find it - my question is...
If I have my chams out at least 4 times a week , in the sun ( 4 - 6 hrs) , do I still continue my D3 , or not? yesterday was D3 day, but I was not sure if I should give it or not - and also can I shut off my UVB bubs or should I keep them on? ( that 12/12 thing - lol ) oh, and one more ? - if the sun is not out, are they still getting the uvb they need ? or do I not count cloudy days as a "sun day"
thanks

Typically, when people are talking about not continuing to give D3, they are people that keep their animals out 24/7. If you are keeping your guys outside for only 4 to 6 hours, then you should continue to supplement with D3. Also, if you keep them outside only 4 to 6 hours, then yes you will need to keep your UV lights on for the time they are inside. They will not be getting the necessary amounts of UV exposure otherwise. Now, with that said, if keeping them outside for 4 to 6 hours is an every day occurrence, you may find that supplementing with d3 is necessary in smaller amounts, especially if you have montane species, but completely discontinuing supplementing with it is not a good idea.

Being outside in the shade still gets more UVB than being under lights! Maybe you can dust with D3 once a month instead?

they are mostly Jax X - and one panther- on the Jax I only use D3 once a mo- and a vit/ on the other Sunday - cal 2 X a week - but also my feeders are very well gut loaded- they eat better than I do - :p I know tweaking for each is a must - I would like to keep them out longer, but the afternoon sun gets pretty hot for the Jax - I am going to change them (as soon as my huge f/r is done ) form outside 7am to 7 pm - I just dont trust leaving them out 24/7 because we have to many critters here- mink, coon, skunk :eek: :p - unless I tie the dog to the cage, I would not be able to sleep :p

ok, thanks for the input guys :)

I am in the same situation as you are and in the case of the Montane species I am using the new Repashy Ca w/ D3 LOW formula. I figure this will still provide some but no overdo it.

As an aside on the UVB on cloudy days, I measured the UVB on a full overcast day outside and it was still well above the output of even an Arcadia 6% with reflectors.

So you are all good!

My Chams are now outside 24/7. Shaded and cloudy days still produce beneficial d3. I still use repashy cal+ at least once per week.

Yeah, besides, Ohio gets cold evenings below 50F.
I have a friend there, and his temp is always a few degrees less then mine.

We have wild animals too, oppossums, skunk, cats, raccoons, snakes, fox, tigers (LOL! just joking about the tigers! :eek: )

I would never leave my guys out all night either w/o a good guard dog :eek:

do you think if it rains in the afternoon, should I leave them out ( not in a storm, just a rain )

It would be a sin not to.

Storms are fine also, as long as the wind doent get too fierce.

During rain/storms, Id recommend maybe covering half of the enclosure with a tarp, or even just a board on half of the top. This way the animal still has some absolute cover, if it absolutely needs it.

Sun for 4-6 hours a week= No D3 in my book, especially for the jacksons. Provided they are kept under adequate UVB lighting the rest of the time.

Calcium in very low amounts at every feeding is a good idea. Very low amounts. To balance the calcium phosphorous ratio to 2:1.

At this ratio, it will get were it needs to go in the body.:)

It would be a sin not to.

Storms are fine also, as long as the wind doent get too fierce.

During rain/storms, Id recommend maybe covering half of the enclosure with a tarp, or even just a board on half of the top. This way the animal still has some absolute cover, if it absolutely needs it.

Sun for 4-6 hours a week= No D3 in my book, especially for the jacksons. Provided they are kept under adequate UVB lighting the rest of the time.

Calcium in very low amounts at every feeding is a good idea. Very low amounts. To balance the calcium phosphorous ratio to 2:1.

At this ratio, it will get were it needs to go in the body.:)

ok, I like the rain , but I just was not sure :rolleyes: I am hearing more and more that SMALL amounts of cal/ daily are best , as a matter of fact- I had all my chams at the vets about 3 weeks ago for check ups- BOTH Jax had low cal/ - and I was advised just this - every day in LOW amounts :) (all bugs 2 X a week, 1 bug everyday)
thanks SS :D

When my Jackson is outside for 4-6 hours a week I don't give D3.

got ya ;) NO D3 - you have one of the best looking Jax ( imho :D )

I don't give D3 if they're outside that much. Especially in montanes. Working well for me anyway.

Thanks for chiming in Ferret :D I always feel like I am floundering in the care- is this right? is that right?? :confused: :confused:

THANK YOU all for helping me in all the ?'s I am always asking, and I hope others also get help ( even from some of my more "odd" questions :p )

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom