Cyperus Alternifolius "Umbrella Plant"

tarotammy

Can someone tell me if this is the same thing as "Cyperus involucratus" and is Cyperus Alternifolius toxic or Non-toxic for the Chameleon???

Though a lot of people do seem to have success with these plants the reality is the plant is toxic. Harmful if ingested in large amounts at one time.

Ok after looking up the ones you mentioned, I have no clue if they are harmful. But the more common ones like dwarf umbrellas are toxic.

Here is some additional pictures and the identification stick on it?? Toxic or Non-toxic???

Attachments

• Umbrella Plant 003.jpg
    Umbrella Plant 003.jpg
    241.3 KB · Views: 243
  • Umbrella Plant 004.jpg
    Umbrella Plant 004.jpg
    260.5 KB · Views: 354
Ok after looking up the ones you mentioned, I have no clue if they are harmful. But the more common ones like dwarf umbrellas are toxic.

Yes looking it up too I am confused on it if is or not . . .I want to make sure it is safe before placing it in the cage. This is so frustrating, LOL

Trust me if thing was dying it would have 30 years ago. The leaves are so big they sag man. :p

This plant is dying, very slowly, perhaps a few months without help... but that is what it is genetically designed to do. This is the Schefflerra Amate, or "dwarf umbrella tree."
However, in example number two you will see a plant much like your own, the Schefflerra oboricola, that is also dying. But thankfully is now coming back after a fresh wash of organic nutrients, i.e. worm poo! :) HA! mines bigger!!!!! wait... how big is yours??

Attachments

• IMAG0681.jpg
    IMAG0681.jpg
    272.2 KB · Views: 285
  • IMAG0684.jpg
    IMAG0684.jpg
    257.3 KB · Views: 277
ill let you be the best judge of whether or not its safe. The big giant leafed umbrella plant i just posted is rated highly toxic, for containing a mild concentration of calcium oxalates. Which have a variety of effects, numbness of the mouth, drooling, upset stomach ect.. If you want to use it and can't find the info, which it seems there is not much about besides some independent study from... wherever there sources were from... I would just cut off a small sample and start chewing it. The ASPCA list is the most "trusted" and they don't even have this plant listed. So idk, flchams sucks tho, chameleon forums rules!
ha well that was enough of the internet for one day. good luck!

This plant is dying, very slowly, perhaps a few months without help... but that is what it is genetically designed to do. This is the Schefflerra Amate, or "dwarf umbrella tree."
However, in example number two you will see a plant much like your own, the Schefflerra oboricola, that is also dying. But thankfully is now coming back after a fresh wash of organic nutrients, i.e. worm poo! :) HA! mines bigger!!!!! wait... how big is yours??

I promise you it isnt dying. its looked this way all my life. You dont grow a 30 year old plant without knowlege. And even having a great grandmal who had a 6 green house nersury for 50 years. You learn how to take care of plants, ive been doing it for 10 years man.

Back
Top Bottom