Custome prebuilt reptile enclosure

Hi my name is Reign and i am very passionate about reptiles but my favorite is Chameleons for years I have seen people struggle with building setups that their chameleon or any reptile would thrive in and I plan on making and selling prebuilt custom bioactive setups for chameleons and other reptiles and I was wondering if people were actually interested in that?

Hi. :) From my perspective, there is a market for quality but affordable enclosures. Currently the only options are the cheap ReptiBreeze which are pretty flimsy, or ones like DragonStrand and Tamura designs, both of which aren’t within everyone’s budget. While I haven’t researched it, I’m not aware of any that are made bioactive ready.
Cost factors aside, I think there is always a market for more options in chameleon and other reptile housing. Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

Hi. Great idea and I think there´s a market for, however before you start with it, I would also do some research for a good courier service. Because, delivering bioactive sets, means they´re completely build (huge volume) and filled up with soil (massive weight), this is a recipe for massive shipping costs. Which can mess up your whole concept, which I support, and make it not profitable and interesting for future buyers. I had many times contact with Bill for his DragonStrand enclosure, which I really like, however is impossible to get it shipped across the ocean, cost wise.

Providing upcoming keepers with a good and pre-build chameleon based enclosure is only bless for all of us. Because due all the available information on the internet, some people are still blind for making a decent setup.

Résumé, good idea and there´s a market for it.

Thanks for the info, ya i really appreciate it, and ya i have always wanted to start a business and i was like why not start a business for something i really enjoy reptiles and ya like you said there are so many people out there that don't know how to start their own reptile cage properly and i really want to change that!!!!

Hi. Great idea and I think there´s a market for, however before you start with it, I would also do some research for a good courier service. Because, delivering bioactive sets, means they´re completely build (huge volume) and filled up with soil (massive weight), this is a recipe for massive shipping costs. Which can mess up your whole concept, which I support, and make it not profitable and interesting for future buyers. I had many times contact with Bill for his DragonStrand enclosure, which I really like, however is impossible to get it shipped across the ocean, cost wise.

Providing upcoming keepers with a good and pre-build chameleon based enclosure is only bless for all of us. Because due all the available information on the internet, some people are still blind for making a decent setup.

Résumé, good idea and there´s a market for it.
Thanks for the info, ya i really appreciate it, and ya i have always wanted to start a business and i was like why not start a business for something i really enjoy reptiles and ya like you said there are so many people out there that don't know how to start their own reptile cage properly and i really want to change that!!!!

I can count the major commercial enclosure mfrs. on one hand.
I can't begin to count the pages of custom enclosure builders/makers (lots of competition), not to mention the cabinet makers & other craftsman who may take on custom enclosures as a sideline.

I wouldn't shoot down the idea, but IME, you're going to need something to stand out from the rest in order to compete.

I'm a little foggy on exactly what you mean by "prebuilt custom bioactive setups". :unsure:
Are you thinking of shipping complete enclosures ready to put a chameleon in?
KD kits requiring some assembly?
Will you be including bioactive substrate & plants?

If this will be your first proprietary business, the Small Business Administration has all kinds of resources & consulting available (it's not just about financing).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Small_Business_Administration
https://www.usa.gov/federal-agencies/small-business-administration
https://www.sba.gov/

I can count the major commercial enclosure mfrs. on one hand.
I can't begin to count the pages of custom enclosure builders/makers (lots of competition), not to mention the cabinet makers & other craftsman who may take on custom enclosures as a sideline.

I wouldn't shoot down the idea, but IME, you're going to need something to stand out from the rest in order to compete.

I'm a little foggy on exactly what you mean by "prebuilt custom bioactive setups". :unsure:
Are you thinking of shipping complete enclosures ready to put a chameleon in?
KD kits requiring some assembly?
Will you be including bioactive substrate & plants?

If this will be your first proprietary business, the Small Business Administration has all kinds of resources & consulting available (it's not just about financing).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Small_Business_Administration
https://www.usa.gov/federal-agencies/small-business-administration
https://www.sba.gov/
Ya i agree that there is competition but I am still planning out and also ya my plane was to have prebuilt were everything was already put together in the cage the soil plants everything prebuilt.

And also I have never seen any company sell prebuilt bioactive enclosures where everything was put together so when the person gets the cage they just put the reptile inside.

Ya i agree that there is competition but I am still planning out and also ya my plane was to have prebuilt were everything was already put together in the cage the soil plants everything prebuilt.
I can see doing this locally, where customers can come pick the enclosure up. Shipping any distance could will (IMO) be problematic.
And also I have never seen any company sell prebuilt bioactive enclosures where everything was put together so when the person gets the cage they just put the reptile inside.
I haven't seen that either, for good reasons I think; I DON'T think it hasn't been thought of before.
Have you checked the archives?

Shipping a 24x24x48 (nom.) pkg. is a lot more bulky & expensive than shipping it KD (6x24x48). How do you keep everything (plants, substrate, CuC, decor, etc.) from shifting during shipping? :unsure: The bottom end with the substrate is going to be a LOT heavier than the top end, making the pkg. very unstable. o_O

A lot is going to depend on how much customers will be willing to pay. I know shipping a DS Lg. Atrium Hybrid across the country (lower 48) ran about $100, and that was KD. I just ran some numbers at FedEx. Just shipping something like what we're discussing across the country (NY-LA) will run in the range of... $610 to $4370, not including the price of the enclosure.

Hi my name is Reign and i am very passionate about reptiles but my favorite is Chameleons for years I have seen people struggle with building setups that their chameleon or any reptile would thrive in and I plan on making and selling prebuilt custom bioactive setups for chameleons and other reptiles and I was wondering if people were actually interested in that?
IDK. 🤷‍♂️

I've known people who could/would spend that kind of money on an enclosure, but IME they usually prefer to work with a local craftsman if possible—for communication, monitoring the project, changes/input...

I'm not saying any of this to discourage; I think you've got something—I'm just not sure exactly what it is or how to best develop/implement it. :oops:

Have you thought about trying out your idea at a reptile show?? Maybe start local so that maybe you can gage pick up points to see if the profit is there? Maybe bring one or two to the show? Then see where people are from and how far of a radius from you that there is a market. Just an idea.

Have you thought about trying out your idea at a reptile show?? Maybe start local so that maybe you can gage pick up points to see if the profit is there? Maybe bring one or two to the show? Then see where people are from and how far of a radius from you that there is a market. Just an idea.
Welcome to the forum!

Umm definatley!! I want to gat a male panther for my female so i can breed them so a custom built cage would be awsome!! How much and would you ship them out?

Back
Top Bottom