Custom LED setup

aholgate

I'm in the process of setting up some smaller cages for babies and thought I'd add a little more light than the one UVB bulb that I had set up so I decided to look I to wiring up my own LEDs and this is what I came up with.

59DD2CAA-C53A-4D71-92FE-9772E040E1FD-6503-000004F0475344EF.jpg

7F3EB79E-3B00-433F-AB3B-CEF7AC6E1DA8-6503-000004F039BA5F4F.jpg

01929FFF-71F6-46C8-B880-164EE751F46E-6503-000004F0515545CE.jpg

FA1014E1-1C4B-40DB-B7AA-8ABE748CB15D-6503-000004F04151E7B9.jpg

F36E53F1-6769-4F09-B1FD-4C8BC50231E1-6503-000004F02F680B25.jpg

LED setup looks super clean and bright! I've heard negative things about those coil UVB bulbs though

Nevermind, did some of my own research. Most of it is pretty inconclusive to be honest.

sorry, but if that is what you concluded, you didn't dig very deep.

CFL's in general are a bad idea depending on the brand, but mostly because they have a very high concentration of UV close to them and then it quickly drops off the farther you get away. This is different to a linear lamp that has a better gradient.

Nice LEDs. I use LEDs on my AquaZamp display at shows. If you get 6500K LEDs, you'll keep your plants alive, and not use a ton of power doing it.

pepboys special? i bet those are all over your car too.

Thanks for the lovely comment. It's unfortunate that there are actually people like you browsing the forum and feeling it necessary to actually take the time leave comments as such. It's called saving the couple hundred dollars that are charged for a simple LED setup. Did I mention I appreciate your input?

And yeah those are 6500 K LEDs, I did them to help the plants and add more light. It's a fairly inexpensive way to get around having the need for plant lights.

Looks really nice. Where were You able to get 6500 k LEDs and how do you know. Most I have found out in stores are not marked for their colour temp.
I love the look of the LEDs and use the jungle dawn ones. So I am interested in what you have.

Sweet setup man! I love the look of LEDs and they last forever and leave a very small carbon footprint, so I applause you for that!! Just one question and it might be because I can't see it, but where is your basking lamp?

Sweet setup man! I love the look of LEDs and they last forever and leave a very small carbon footprint, so I applause you for that!! Just one question and it might be because I can't see it, but where is your basking lamp?

Dont think baby´s need basking lamps ;)

Looks good:) Do your own research on the compact fluorescent lamps. I chose against them personally. But saving money and looking good, BIG UP!

chris

Is there any danger to the cham's eyes using the LEDs? I am planning to use them also, but I know how I see spots after accidentally looking into the ones on my car! (HaHa:D) But seriously, Are they safe?

For those of you asking, I bought the LEDs and all the components for the setup at a local electronic store. I soldered each connection individually and bought a power supply with a disconnect to turn them on and off. Yes, I know for sure these LEDs put out 6500 K because the man who helped me had them organized according to their outputs and had a catalog to prove it. There is no evidence of the LEDs damaging chameleons eyes. If you want to be safe you can always buy a dimmer and inline it into the power supply.

For those of you asking, I bought the LEDs and all the components for the setup at a local electronic store. I soldered each connection individually and bought a power supply with a disconnect to turn them on and off. Yes, I know for sure these LEDs put out 6500 K because the man who helped me had them organized according to their outputs and had a catalog to prove it. There is no evidence of the LEDs damaging chameleons eyes. If you want to be safe you can always buy a dimmer and inline it into the power supply.

Thanks for the info, I'm not sure where I would have looked for the lights, but I'm sure they will be less expensive doing them your way! Good idea!!!

Nice :) thx for the info

you can find waterproof LED's in varius lengths on ebay.com. They are 6500k waterproof and come in two colors. cool white (more blueish) and warm white (more yellowish). they are also fairly cheap. i just ordered 6ft. with a power supply for 18.00 with free shipping. they are going to be in on monday. then i just need to figure out how to mount them. Im thinking of hot gluing them to the top inside of the cage so that they will not have to penetrate the screen. my only concern with this is that im not to sure how hot the lights get and if they will burn the cham. with the waterproofing silicone gel over them i cant imagine them getting too hot.

Nevermind, did some of my own research. Most of it is pretty inconclusive to be honest.

it was a while back when it could actually harm them they changed it up and its safe now and many people use it, its just the rumor that is still going around that it can blind or hurt your chameleon its good, i personally like the tube as i feel the light isnt just concentrated to one part of the cage but radiates.
your bulb is fine and the leds are great, I dig your cage

Back
Top Bottom