Custom enclosure

Jd♂️♂️

Established Member
Ok so the bottom of my custom enclosure is wood pretty much the entire enclosure is made outta wood besides screening well I’m having mold problems with the misting to where the water stays in the wood some spots I drilled holes for the water to leak under a storage box but still getting mold anyone have any solutions series problem was thinking of just adding soul to the bottom to where the soil Absorbs the water but Mabe you guys could help !!!!!

Can you put you cham in another temporary enclosure and use something like FlexSeal on the bottom. If you seal the wood properly, you won't have to worry about rot or mold.

Can you put you cham in another temporary enclosure and use something like FlexSeal on the bottom. If you seal the wood properly, you won't have to worry about rot or mold.
ThAt I do ... you said flex seal there is a lot deft flex seal example the liquid one ... the spray one send link please

I had not heard that (though have not researched it either). I have not used it for reptiles, but have for some aquarium stands. The liquid will work fine, it is just thinner and you will need to roll on several thin coats.

I had not heard that (though have not researched it either). I have not used it for reptiles, but have for some aquarium stands. The liquid will work fine, it is just thinner and you will need to roll on several thin coats.
Works for me thank you for the advice...

Adding soil would likely give muddy fungus soil. would need some clean up crew, could have spike in fungus while waiting for fauna to build in a bio active start up. If that was purpose for adding mud

Just last night I saw an add for a flex seal paste (looked like drywall compound). IDK if it's new, or anything about its toxicity, but it might be worth checking out.

However, IME, no sealer is 100% foolproof when it comes to wood & water, and if it's a bioactive enclosure, it's often like holding a wet sponge against the wood long-term.
The only real solution (again, IME) is to keep wood separate from wet areas. I'd remove the bottom, install a heavy stainless steel (aluminum & galvanized will eventually corrode & fail) screen (something like 2 or 4 mesh), raise the enclosure a couple of inches on stainless bolts or other waterproof feet, and place it in a plastic drain pan that will catch any runoff. Many folks use washing machine drain pans, but there are other terms when searching.

Solution for a bioactive would be slightly different.

From there, the water can be drained into a bucket, drain line, or what have you.

The most important thing is getting the water away from the wood, or you'll keep getting mold, mildew, and eventually rot, none of which is good for the enclosure or the animal.

Just my opinion & experience.

Another problem you might encounter is if the ingress of moisture and mildew into wood that sealer might lift back off if not dried out prior, or continue rotting the wood behind sealer. Is the wood bare and what type of wood is it soft wood/hard wood/plywood other composite type wood?

Back
Top Bottom