Curtain lounging Concerns

57B53097-02C4-4BC6-A203-2B1D0D627812.jpeg

Hello,
My 2 year old Veiled LOVES to be at the top of the curtains. When he is caged, he is constantly trying to find a way out so he can crawl over to the top of the window. I have now allowed him to hang there on most days while I am home (I carry him over myself).
My question here is if he is still able to get UV rays for digestion through the glass. What are thoughts on letting your reptile hang on the curtains? Should there be a time limit? Any info would be great. Thank you!

Hi also after reading some stuff off chameleon academy yesterday. Whats your enclosure like that your cham wants out ?

Ordinary window glass blocks the UVB rays.

I don't think UVB rays have anything to do with digestion...the D3 produced from them has to do with calcium metabolism.
Ah metabolism you are correct. I knew it was calcium, My mistake. I do limit how long he is there but I am curious if he should even be allowed there at all

Years ago my daughter had a veiled that constantly wanted out all the time. She allowed him to do the same thing, hang out on top of her bedroom curtains.
He developed mbd from not getting the uvb light in his enclosure.
At the time I didn't know anything about chameleons, but even here in Florida, being near a window doesn't matter unless it's open 😔

Back
Top Bottom