current state in madagascar

leedragon

Chameleon Enthusiast
Just read that people in madagascar are going for fussas and lemurs due they being starving to dead due the current famine caused by droughts. How much longer would it be until chameleons are next? As a comunity I assume there is an interest in the welfare of the country due whatever affects them will affect the animals aswell. Does anyone have information on what is being done to help the people and the situation there?

The vast majority (approximately 75%) of the population in Madagascar falls below the world poverty line of $1.90/day. I think the main problem is food.

Here's an interesting article that was just recently published:

A nutrient-rich traditional insect for improving food security and reducing biodiversity loss in Madagascar and sub-Saharan Africa​

https://conbio.onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/csp2.480
My summary: Researchers were able to harvest an edible insect that would eat the tops of a specific crop without destroying the yield. In essence, the crop yielded more food without having to cut down more crop space. They were able to combat deforestation and malnutrition.

Here's a quote from the article: "In Madagascar, native Z. tenebrosa: (a) can be easily, rapidly, and cheaply cultivated in remote communities with limited connection and infrastructure; (b) are a traditionally eaten food perceived as wild, 'natural,' clean, flavorful, rich, cheap, available during seasons of low food security, and tied to local identity; (c) are high in essential micro- and macronutrients; (d) can be raised on agricultural bean host plants without greatly affecting bean production; (e) can be farmed without increasing agricultural lands or forest clearing; and (f) have a wide native range that overlaps with areas of low food security and high biodiversity, making the project potentially replicable across all of Madagascar and much of sub-Saharan Africa."

Another interesting articles:
https://news.mongabay.com/2020/11/bug-bites-edible-insect-production-ramps-up-quickly-in-madagascar/ (watch the video on cricket flour which helps fight deforestation as well as malnutrition)

(Related to the topic):
https://medium.com/@alexllane/crickets-vs-beef-which-is-the-better-protein-source-9f7a5ff5bcde

https://www.dw.com/en/insects-our-future-food/av-52465091

I think many studies are showing that insects are the future of food. Many countries have been doing this for thousands of years. Madagascar's main issues are hunger and malnutrition. Many adults have signs of stunted growth or bone issues due to a lack of food.

@leedragon, the implementation of the first article is relatively recent, but it looks promising. If they are able to get all of Madagascar to adopt this method of harvesting food, the lemurs and fossas should be safe (as well as chameleons). I honestly think that mammals will always be the first to go when it comes to people hunting them to extinction. Once the mammals are gone, then chameleons may be next.

The vast majority (approximately 75%) of the population in Madagascar falls below the world poverty line of $1.90/day. I think the main problem is food.

Here's an interesting article that was just recently published:

A nutrient-rich traditional insect for improving food security and reducing biodiversity loss in Madagascar and sub-Saharan Africa​

https://conbio.onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/csp2.480
My summary: Researchers were able to harvest an edible insect that would eat the tops of a specific crop without destroying the yield. In essence, the crop yielded more food without having to cut down more crop space. They were able to combat deforestation and malnutrition.

Here's a quote from the article: "In Madagascar, native Z. tenebrosa: (a) can be easily, rapidly, and cheaply cultivated in remote communities with limited connection and infrastructure; (b) are a traditionally eaten food perceived as wild, 'natural,' clean, flavorful, rich, cheap, available during seasons of low food security, and tied to local identity; (c) are high in essential micro- and macronutrients; (d) can be raised on agricultural bean host plants without greatly affecting bean production; (e) can be farmed without increasing agricultural lands or forest clearing; and (f) have a wide native range that overlaps with areas of low food security and high biodiversity, making the project potentially replicable across all of Madagascar and much of sub-Saharan Africa."

Another interesting articles:
https://news.mongabay.com/2020/11/bug-bites-edible-insect-production-ramps-up-quickly-in-madagascar/ (watch the video on cricket flour which helps fight deforestation as well as malnutrition)

(Related to the topic):
https://medium.com/@alexllane/crickets-vs-beef-which-is-the-better-protein-source-9f7a5ff5bcde

https://www.dw.com/en/insects-our-future-food/av-52465091

I think many studies are showing that insects are the future of food. Many countries have been doing this for thousands of years. Madagascar's main issues are hunger and malnutrition. Many adults have signs of stunted growth or bone issues due to a lack of food.

@leedragon, the implementation of the first article is relatively recent, but it looks promising. If they are able to get all of Madagascar to adopt this method of harvesting food, the lemurs and fossas should be safe (as well as chameleons). I honestly think that mammals will always be the first to go when it comes to people hunting them to extinction. Once the mammals are gone, then chameleons may be next.
I don´t know man, people are even eating clay to survive as it is now.

Thanks for the references. I have my digits crossed the people of Madagascar can pull through this tough time. They have got some foreign aid now. However some more foreign aid is on the way in October. I am pulling for the people of Madagascar that aid is enough for them to make it through these tough times.

Best Regards
Jeremy A. Rich

All of Africa is pretty much in a problem state to some degree. What is the real answer to fixing this? IDK. Humans in general pretty much suck... usually up until the point one group is able to dominate enough(almost always by unethical means) to create a sturdy society that can focus on things outside of plainly surviving. Only then do we start to look at protecting species and preserving nature etc. I am totally for zoos/hobbyists/anyone attempting to breed as many creatures as possible, there's not much hope for the natural world outside of captivity.

Thanks for the references. I have my digits crossed the people of Madagascar can pull through this tough time. They have got some foreign aid now. However some more foreign aid is on the way in October. I am pulling for the people of Madagascar that aid is enough for them to make it through these tough times.

Best Regards
Jeremy A. Rich
I hope so. We would be screw if this happen to us.

All of Africa is pretty much in a problem state to some degree. What is the real answer to fixing this? IDK. Humans in general pretty much suck... usually up until the point one group is able to dominate enough(almost always by unethical means) to create a sturdy society that can focus on things outside of plainly surviving. Only then do we start to look at protecting species and preserving nature etc. I am totally for zoos/hobbyists/anyone attempting to breed as many creatures as possible, there's not much hope for the natural world outside of captivity.
Africa is the natural habitat for humans, we can go in historic politics why things look as they are now but the point is that people are dying of hunger and now in madagascar this is remarkable worse than before. We as a hobby if not interested in the people would be interested in the animals that will be eaten or killed in order for them to survive this harshest period.

I would not say the Malagasy are terrible people. Everyone I have met who has gone to Madagascar and returned says the people of Malagasy are great people. They are just an underdeveloped nation, trying to survive in a difficult covide plus food shortage drought time. They only have very limited options to feed themselves right now.

Best Regards
Jeremy A. Rich

Africa is the natural habitat for humans, we can go in historic politics why things look as they are now but the point is that people are dying of hunger and now in madagascar this is remarkable worse than before. We as a hobby if not interested in the people would be interested in the animals that will be eaten or killed in order for them to survive this harshest period.
Yeah I don't disagree. I was just pointing out the fact of the matter. We can always say why things are the way they are in any situation, but what matters is what can we do about it now? Something tells me foreign aid only goes so far, like a bandaid.

I would not say the Malagasy are terrible people. Everyone I have met who has gone to Madagascar and returned says the people of Malagasy are great people. They are just an underdeveloped nation, trying to survive in a difficult covide plus food shortage drought time. They only have very limited options to feed themselves right now.

Best Regards
Jeremy A. Rich
I do not think they're a terrible people, I'm sure they're amazing people. Only takes a few to mess up things though.

Yeah I don't disagree. I was just pointing out the fact of the matter. We can always say why things are the way they are in any situation, but what matters is what can we do about it now? Something tells me foreign aid only goes so far, like a bandaid.
In this case a bandaid that keeps you alive.

On another note, it doesn't make sense we're so grossed out by eating insects. Crabs/shrimp/lobster are the same thing, just in water! Now there was a time when people were grossed out by lobster, but goes to show how cultural influence has power over us. I'd be very grossed out by eating a cockroach, but it doesn't really make sense since I eat seafood. And It's not like you'd be eating apartment sewer roaches or anything like that.

How about till the next planting season for crops and rain season for other water dependent (goat /cattle/fruit tree's products) agriculture to feed the Malagasy to allow them to stop preying upon the wildlife.

Best Regards
Jeremy A. Rich

In this case a bandaid that keeps you alive.

Did you read the articles? There is a drought going on and crops are not producing. That is making an extreme food food scarcity and panic.

Best Regards
Jeremy A. Rich

It wasn't my intention to offend. I think you guys should read what I'm saying... I'm not against foreign aid if it means people will survive, not at all. Just speaking the truth of... what can be done to help the country stand on it's own feet? I see the mention of farming techniques, but there is probably more to it?

So what happens if the US and other leading countries have an economic disaster and can't lend foreign aid, then what is the answer? Or at that point will the entire world just crumble?

It wasn't my intention to offend. I think you guys should read what I'm saying... I'm not against foreign aid if it means people will survive, not at all. Just speaking the truth of... what can be done to help the country stand on it's own feet? I see the mention of farming techniques, but there is probably more to it?

So what happens if the US and other leading countries have an economic disaster and can't lend foreign aid, then what is the answer? Or at that point will the entire world just crumble?
This situation has happened before in Ethiopia back in the 1980's. Sending bags of rice, maize and other bulk foods such as other grains goes a long ways. Ethiopia pulled through.

Best Regards
Jeremy A. Rich

Back
Top Bottom