curious question

phanx

hi i just had a curious question before i decide to buy a chameleon. my friend said that his friend had a chameleon and it stank. do chameleons stink? :confused: and if they dont, do their cages stink? im going to be putting my chameleon cage in my room so i dont know if i want to sleep with the burden of a stinky room hehe

They don't stink as long as you clean up poo daily and don't let stagnant water sit around. You will need good drainage because you have to mist them resulting in alot of water...

The stinkier their droppings are, the more likely it is they are harboring bacteria and other wee (internal) beasties, too.

Basic rule of thumb is ... if you can smell them, they aren't happy. Chams love their environment clean, and other than them having parasites or an illness, their pooh really doesn't smell much (clean it up every day though);)

Welcome to the forums by the way!

What type of chameleon you after?

Your friend's chameleon need to be checked to the vet.
I have 3, and none of them stink.
To be perfectly honest, it doesn't mean that their poo smells like flower or anything. After all, it is a poo. But, your nose have to be offensively close to it to actually smell it. Chameleons are surprisingly a quite clean animal. They hate hanging out in a dirty environment.

If your chameleon and its cage stink, then it reflects more about how you handle the cleaning routine.

If the poo smells real bad, then you know, like others have said, there are some culprits swimming inside your pet's bellies.

Basic rule of thumb is ... if you can smell them, they aren't happy. Chams love their environment clean, and other than them having parasites or an illness, their pooh really doesn't smell much (clean it up every day though);)

Welcome to the forums by the way!

What type of chameleon you after?

thanks alot for the help. but im after any chameleon i can get my hands on, but the cheapest ones im seeing are veiled chameleons, and i dont really have that much money so i guess ima have to settle for a veiled haha. i see ur from ontario too. do u know any chameleon breeders around here? im from mississauga

thanks alot for the help. but im after any chameleon i can get my hands on, but the cheapest ones im seeing are veiled chameleons, and i dont really have that much money so i guess ima have to settle for a veiled haha. i see ur from ontario too. do u know any chameleon breeders around here? im from mississauga

Just want to remind you that having chameleon is not cheap no matter what species it is.

You will spend close to 250 dollars just for the equipments necessary for him to survive under your care (not including the bill for feeders, electric, water, vet, etc).
Make sure you count those in your budget as well.

Just want to remind you that having chameleon is not cheap no matter what species it is.

You will spend close to 250 dollars just for the equipments necessary for him to survive under your care (not including the bill for feeders, electric, water, vet, etc).
Make sure you count those in your budget as well.

oh spending money on the equipment is whatever to me, that is actually worth the money. but why spend $150 on a chameleon in stores, when u can spend like $50 on the same chameleon from a breeder right?

oh spending money on the equipment is whatever to me, that is actually worth the money. but why spend $150 on a chameleon in stores, when u can spend like $50 on the same chameleon from a breeder right?

Absolutely!! You can actually get a quality veiled from breeders and save on shipping and tax by coming to the expo.
Pet store always overcharge people.

Talk about off-timing. You just missed the Ontario (Mississauga) Reptile Expo on the 16th of November. There were lots of Panthers and Veileds (sorry to rub it in)

I'll ask around and see if anyone nearby has some available. In the meantime scour this site, as well as any others you can find, carefully read Brad's blog http://raisingkittytheveiledchameleon.blogspot.com/

Good luck (and a little hard work)!

Back
Top Bottom