Curious About Pond Foam

iv seen a few Terrariums that the creators have used brown pond foam for the sides an back. how safe is this product or does anyone know of a certain brand that works well? any photos of people that have used this technique ?

iv seen a few Terrariums that the creators have used brown pond foam for the sides an back. how safe is this product or does anyone know of a certain brand that works well? any photos of people that have used this technique ?
@GoodKarma19 and @JoXie411 have both used it.

Ive used it several times now. Some people say that only the pond stuff should be used as it non-toxic, but I’ve seen many people just using regular spray foam. Moreover, you end up covering all of it in silicone, or some sort of adhesive, then coco coir/peat moss or some other natural product, so really non is exposed

I used GreatStuff Multi-Purpose Black in my second build, and GreatStuff Big Gap Filler in the first (beige). You'll be covering/sealing it anyway, so it doesn't really matter what you use as long is it isn't one of the Pest Block/Mold inhibitor formulations I figure. (y)

Another tip - when you use the foam, put down a thin layer and then let it set before putting on the next layer. I have 3 Large Clearside Dragonstrand cagees, and inevitably we try to do too much foaming at a time and it bulges out the side. For my cages I use the silicone, then use the foam (typically I'm foaming in pots for plants), then a layer of silicone and the coco fibers to cover it all. I let everything air out at least a week or 2 before putting in a chameleon. I'm doing my third cage currently and if we ever finish it I'll make a photo blog how-to guide (though I've been saying that for a year, but this time I really mean it!)

Another tip - when you use the foam, put down a thin layer and then let it set before putting on the next layer. I have 3 Large Clearside Dragonstrand cagees, and inevitably we try to do too much foaming at a time and it bulges out the side. For my cages I use the silicone, then use the foam (typically I'm foaming in pots for plants), then a layer of silicone and the coco fibers to cover it all. I let everything air out at least a week or 2 before putting in a chameleon. I'm doing my third cage currently and if we ever finish it I'll make a photo blog how-to guide (though I've been saying that for a year, but this time I really mean it!)
id watch that blog forsure !!internet is lacking this design process for cham enclosures!!

Back
Top Bottom