cup feeding

yoshi9

Can someone post a picture of their setup (who cup feeds), im in need of some ideas of where to put his cup. Thanks!
Patrick

Here is a pic of my setup. My 3 baby Oustalets are getting used to it. I also put a small cup on the bottom of the cage as one of the babies tends to hang out on the bottom and he seems to appreciate that! lol

LittleCage4.jpg

Here is a pic of my setup. My 3 baby Oustalets are getting used to it. I also put a small cup on the bottom of the cage as one of the babies tends to hang out on the bottom and he seems to appreciate that! lol

LittleCage4.jpg

My veiled doesn't seem to know where it is also I think its a little to high and there is nothing for him to climb to get into the cup

My veiled doesn't seem to know where it is also I think its a little to high and there is nothing for him to climb to get into the cup

I had the same problem, but fixed it, I put it directly under his basking branch, put it somewhere under his favorite spot where you know he can see all the way in. It worked for me, bowl is always empty when I get home.

full

Here's my cup. It's paperclipped to a vine in the middle so he can see into it from the top and has branches around to grab onto when he's eating from it. He's a little far in because he can't use his tongue but the idea is the same. I painted the outside because it was so transparent he was trying to eat through it at first.

Last edited by a moderator:
full

Here's my cup. It's paperclipped to a vine in the middle so he can see into it from the top and has branches around to grab onto when he's eating from it. He's a little far in because he can't use his tongue but the idea is the same. I painted the outside because it was so transparent he was trying to eat through it at first.

Ha! hes just all in there! Terrorising those crickets!

Last edited by a moderator:
heres a shot of mine, my little camo only likes his green shot glass. i used a coat hanger and bent a loop with two hooks on each end it hangs in his cage and i can simply lift out theglass to put feeders in and clean it when needed
155277_1665814197594_1004438354_1806690_5065434_n.jpg

i need to find a bigger on now tho LoL
my gets intimidated by anything he can fit into prob looks like a trap try a smaller container one maye half his body size.

It is hard for me to find a good spot for it, ill post a picture later when I get home but the main problem is he has a ficus tree that he is always in so its hard to place it for me.

I was worried about placement and them not seeing it, but I put about 30 crickets in 2 different bowls this morning (one near the basking spot and one on the bottom of the cage) and when I came home from work there was only 5 left, so I know they are finding the bowls and getting the crix. I'm sure if you put it in a fairly noticeable spot your cham will get it.

I think I'm going to try this with my adult male veiled, because the crickets sometimes hide in the cage for days at a time, and may die of old age before he can see them to eat'em.

yeah, its worth a shot. I did it to monitor eating. When I first got my 3 babies, they were all just used to the free range crickets and it took a few days to get them to go for the bowls, but now they know when I'm moving or stirring up the bowls... Food is coming! lol

Good! the cup feeding is working out much better than free range feeding. The crickets can't hide from my cham!

I set my cup on the bottom of the cage at the front. I have a branch that hangs into the cup a bit. I also tape a piece of paper to cover the back (so the chameleon doesn't get confused from seeing thru the side).

Sorry the picture kinda sucks. camera is being naughty.
DSC03886.jpg

I posted this in another thread. Might as well put it here too.

Originally Posted by jenstar View Post
I guess he prefers to hunt.

Naturally!! This is what they do in the wild I do not recommend cup feeding every bug. Your lizard will get use to the bugs always going in their. This could cause it to get lazy and set around the cup all day waiting for food and can cause "lazy tongue". Its best IMO to free range the bugs that are quick moving. Crickets, hoppers, flies (of course) and other worms that will stick to a branch or screen. Things like roaches that just run and hide under the plant pots and other worm type feeders that dont stick to the screen or branch can be placed in the cup or better yet a small shallow tub. However, I dont recommend always using a tub either. It might be better than a cup but still the food is in the same spot all the time. This will keep your animal wondering if there is food in the cage and be more inclined to hunt and be active during the day. One of the most fun parts of keeping these lizards is watching them hunt! Seems like your animal already knows where his food is all the time from pooping in it. In the wild poop will attract different bugs thus bringing food to the lizard. Its quite normal.

I have mine hanging from a suction cup on the side of the enclosure. I poked a small hole in the side of the cup, and then attached it. My cup is very small though. Not sure if it will work with something larger. The crickets can jump out, and they can climb up the sides. It works for my Veiled though - he has some in the cup, and has some to hunt.
P1000110.jpg

I posted this in another thread. Might as well put it here too.

Originally Posted by jenstar View Post
I guess he prefers to hunt.

Naturally!! This is what they do in the wild I do not recommend cup feeding every bug. Your lizard will get use to the bugs always going in their. This could cause it to get lazy and set around the cup all day waiting for food and can cause "lazy tongue". Its best IMO to free range the bugs that are quick moving. Crickets, hoppers, flies (of course) and other worms that will stick to a branch or screen. Things like roaches that just run and hide under the plant pots and other worm type feeders that dont stick to the screen or branch can be placed in the cup or better yet a small shallow tub. However, I dont recommend always using a tub either. It might be better than a cup but still the food is in the same spot all the time. This will keep your animal wondering if there is food in the cage and be more inclined to hunt and be active during the day. One of the most fun parts of keeping these lizards is watching them hunt! Seems like your animal already knows where his food is all the time from pooping in it. In the wild poop will attract different bugs thus bringing food to the lizard. Its quite normal.

Thats really clever. I've noticed that my male sits on his basking spot most the day and looks over at his cup everyone in a while. I am thinking about buying some crickets and letting them go in his cage (maybe 12 at most). Same idea with silk/horn worms. I usually just feed them by hand. Your onto something here.

Thats really clever. I've noticed that my male sits on his basking spot most the day and looks over at his cup everyone in a while. I am thinking about buying some crickets and letting them go in his cage (maybe 12 at most). Same idea with silk/horn worms. I usually just feed them by hand. Your onto something here.

I had cup fed starting out after I got into panthers. My one male had to be free ranged because of always rubbing his nose on the cage so naturally he had to be cup fed. If you are going to do it I think its wise to at least hand feed a few of the bugs making the chameleon "reach" for them. I would watch a chameleon for a member when they went on vacation. The chameleon had gone to a well known herp vet for eye issues. Everything was in check with the cham besides eye infection yet he couldnt snag feeders from very far away. This beast would sit all day by the gallon jug feeder. Once you put his food in he would stick his head right in there and snag them up from an inch or two away. He was fed like that forever. The gallon jug method could work better than a cup if it is far enough away the chameleon actually has to shoot far for its food.

Back
Top Bottom