cup feeding

danni

what doese this mean, i have seen it in a few post, but am a little unsure what it is, i would like to try it with moty, as he's not too jeen on locast or crickets.

he is 5 weeks old, is he too young for carrot & other veg?

danni x

what doese this mean, i have seen it in a few post, but am a little unsure what it is, i would like to try it with moty, as he's not too jeen on locast or crickets.

he is 5 weeks old, is he too young for carrot & other veg?

danni x

cup feeding means that you put your crix in the cup and your cham will eat them from the cup.

Method:

1. Free roam method: dump the crickets inside the enclosure and let your chameleon hunts. Do not let feeders overnight. The bugs will bother your chameleon at night by biting him. The benefit of free roam is the way it mimics the nature. Your chameleon will get a good exercise from hunting his food. Unfortunately, free roam makes it hard for you to monitor the exact amount of food that your chameleon eat daily, some insects might not get eaten and manage to survive and, worst, escape.
  2. Feeder Cup method: use a semi opaque or opaque cup inside the cage. Put your feeder inside of the cup. The benefits of cup feeding are the ability for you to accurately monitor your chameleon's daily intake, minimize insect escapees, and keeps a cleaner cage since the dead feeder will be in the cup. The negative thing about cup feeding are not all chameleons get accustomed to eat from a cup and chameleon tends to become lazy since no hunting required to get his food.

just put some locast in a pot, put it in the viv & they all jumped out!

what am i doing wrong?

I cup feed crickets and morio worms ( I use an earthenware hamster food dish). With the locusts, I remove their 'hopping' legs (so they can't jump!:p) and hand feed them. They just carry on as normal without their hind legs. I do it with the crickets too, mainly because I HATED them when I first got Lily and that was the easiest way to deal with them!!:D Tweezers come in very handy too!!!

thats a good idea!!!!

my husband has just infprmed me, that he feed monty 3 wax worms yesterday & 2 today - would this be why he isnt intrested in other things as the wax worms would have filled him up?

Quite possibly - you shouldn't give waxworms as a staple diet. Chameleons can get addicted to them and refuse to eat anything else! :D Chameleon sweeties - yummm!! Lily likes them but she doesn't get them every day and when she does I give her no more than 2. She's into morios at the moment (and anything else that moves!) She's finally got her appetite back since she laid her eggs last week!

i did tell him this, but he said "but he likes them" i think i will now be hiding them!!!!!

what are morios?

Morios are morio worms also known as superworms. They look like giant mealworms. Think they may be way too big for your little guy yet, although the tub I bought today does have some fairly small ones in it too.

Morios are morio worms also known as superworms. They look like giant mealworms. Think they may be way too big for your little guy yet, although the tub I bought today does have some fairly small ones in it too.

Super worms are great because you can gut load them VERY easily. They eat everything you put in front of them.

Edit: They are a bit high on fat and have a lot of chitin, so make sure your basking temp is set right so your cham can digest the food well and don't over feed. Try to mix it up with crickets, supers, silks, hornies... ect.

lol and just because she likes the wax worms doesn't mean your cham should eat them all the time:D

I would see if you can get your hands on Horn worms and Silk worms. They are great feeders!

having trouble here in england getting some of the items mentioned on here - dont know why though :(

There are a lot of cham people in the forum. I think that you should listen to what they have to say since they can tell you what they feed their chams and where they get the feeders. Here in the states we may have more of a variety that we can get online if our local rep store doesn't carry them.

been looking on the net, but at the moment, have only found silk worms, so have ordered some of them, i'm gonna try in my local reptile shop tomorrow & see if they can order in for me, have looked on a few american sites, but they want a min order of $100, which is no good for me - i'll keep on with the search untill i find them - i will not be beatern :)

please to report, that after putting locast in monty's cup this morning, he went straigh down & ate them - so i'm guessing he was full from all the wax worms my husband gave to him with out me knowing x

Back
Top Bottom