Cup feeding?

Veiledtsgnm

Hi I have a female veiled chameleon who is around 7-8 months old... I have been cup feeding but I was wondering if I just let the crickets roam free in her cage if she will be more active... The cage is 2x2x4 ft and it is aluminum screen sides... will the crickets just stay at the bottom of the cage to where she wont be able to get to them or will she be able to find them with success... I have a blanket at the bottom of the cage to absorb water and catch poop....There is a potted Hibiscus bush in there and a trash can to catch the water from the dripper... Will this method of feeding in a cage of this size be hard for her to eat, or is her eye sight and agility good enough to stay health? PS. There aren't any sticks leading to the bottom of the cage.... there are only horizontal limbs, the hibiscus and a limb going to the nesting pot which the hibiscus is in...

I chuck the crickets in when I am pressed for time. To answer your question, yes, it will help them keep up their level of activity. That size of an enclosure is fine, there would not be a problem hunting in an area that big.

e and a trash can to catch the water from the dripper....

I am sure you do, but just encase you don't ... make sure you have a screen or something over your can so she can not fall in and drowned - it does not take much water - I find one of my baby jax stuck in the feed cup every so often, but it has screen bottom so when the mister kicks on it can not fill the feed cup just encase anyone would happen to be stuck in there ~ I would not put all her crix lose - what she does not get may bite her at night - but a few should be fine :)

I chuck the crickets in when I am pressed for time. To answer your question, yes, it will help them keep up their level of activity. That size of an enclosure is fine, there would not be a problem hunting in an area that big.

Even if there is no access to the bottom of the cage? as I said before I have the Nesting box as the lowest level that she can get to... Wouldn't the crickets just sit at the bottom, if this happens I don't think she will be able to reach them...

I am sure you do, but just encase you don't ... make sure you have a screen or something over your can so she can not fall in and drowned - it does not take much water - I find one of my baby jax stuck in the feed cup every so often, but it has screen bottom so when the mister kicks on it can not fill the feed cup just encase anyone would happen to be stuck in there ~ I would not put all her crix lose - what she does not get may bite her at night - but a few should be fine :)

Thanks for the reminder lol I just finished the dripper today and I just put the trash can in there without putting screen over it... thank you, thank you, thank you...

Even if there is no access to the bottom of the cage? as I said before I have the Nesting box as the lowest level that she can get to... Wouldn't the crickets just sit at the bottom, if this happens I don't think she will be able to reach them...

No access? I usually have at least one branch that goes down to the floor. This allows the cham to climb up in case he/she falls. It is rare, but chams do make mistakes and sometimes slip, especially on faux branches. Make sure there is at least one limb that allows the cham to hit ground level. If you cant do that, then stick to cup-feeding.

Back
Top Bottom