cup feeding...need some advice...

erik775

Established Member
whats better to use a clear see through cup or one you cant see through...?and could i cup train a 3 month old panther???oh yeah i forgot how big should the cup be???

I had to paint the sides of mine because it was too clear. My cham would try to eat the crickets through the side. They can injure their tongues trying to shoot through the cup so get one that's not very transparent. You should be able to get the little ones used to cup feeding. Do a search for previous threads that talk about it more.

I cup feed my babies starting at about a month. They cup feed from then on and I have not had any problems. It is better to use a butter tub or something that is not clear as ferret said.

whats better to use a clear see through cup or one you cant see through...?and could i cup train a 3 month old panther???

Its best not to cup feed in my opinion. Unless you have something like worms that dont cling to the screen or branches or roaches that will quickly go hide under a plant and not be accessible to eat.

Things like crickets should not be cup fed. You want to keep your chameleon guessing if there is food in the enclosure. This will keep your cham hunting around and active. They can also get lazy and just sit at the cup all day waiting for food. This can cause them to get "lazy tongue" also.

I can see cup feeding somethings as I mentioned but I really dont get why you would want to cup feed everything. Isnt that part of why these animals are so interesting, to watch hunt and act NATURALLY?!?!?!

I do like to watch them hunt also. I know it's easier to keep track of what they've eaten with cup feeding but it's more fun for us and them I think with free range. My veiled doesn't get the option since his tongue was injured, but I free range feed my other 2.

I'm with Cain. I stick to only putting roaches and some worms in a cup. The rest I let them work for a bit. I'll put some worms (with good grip) on the branches and the chams will find them on their own, which keeps their life a little more exciting.

Remember that mental stimulation is good for any and all creatures.

Its best not to cup feed in my opinion. Unless you have something like worms that dont cling to the screen or branches or roaches that will quickly go hide under a plant and not be accessible to eat.

Things like crickets should not be cup fed. You want to keep your chameleon guessing if there is food in the enclosure. This will keep your cham hunting around and active. They can also get lazy and just sit at the cup all day waiting for food. This can cause them to get "lazy tongue" also.

I can see cup feeding somethings as I mentioned but I really dont get why you would want to cup feed everything. Isnt that part of why these animals are so interesting, to watch hunt and act NATURALLY?!?!?!

yeah youve got a really good point there...i think ill just let him hunt for the crickets...and ill just put roaches and worms in the cup...:):)

yeah youve got a really good point there...i think ill just let him hunt for the crickets...and ill just put roaches and worms in the cup...:):)

I think this will make your chameleon and you much more happy:D One of my favorite parts of keeping these animals is watching them run around the enclosure in a frenzy snagging up feeders!

Back
Top Bottom