Cup Feeding Help 🙂

I got one of these for roaches in addition to the feeder run cup I built for the crix. Roaches hide in the bottom of the run cup, so he wasn't eating them. This works. I showed him the roaches in it a couple times, and he seems to learn quick. Helps if they're moving though; if they're playing possum (as dubias are wont to do) he ignores them.
View attachment 302692
It hangs nicely off of any of the dowels, but I always use the same spot.
I’ll definitely see if I can find this at the store when I go today! When the crickets don’t move, he also is weird about wanting to eat them so that’s why I did tweezer feeding at first, but after he almost ate it one time, I stopped using it. He might just need to get used to the cup vs seeing the tweezers 🙂

I use the Full Throttle Feeders in both of my enclosures. They are basically a permanent fixture in the enclosure. I only remove them to clean them. By leaving them in the enclosure, they become a part of the chams territory and they are no longer afraid of that strange new thing in their home. They will feel more secure and willing to feed from it. My 1 year old Panther will routinely inspect his feeder to see if there is any thing in it, and literally RUNS to the feeder when he sees me coming with the feeder bag (my "shake and bake" duster bag). :)
LOL aww that’s so cute!! Do crickets jump out of it though? Or do you only use it for worms, roaches, etc?

I tried that one when mine was little and Beman hated it... When he would he would hit it from the outside and obviously that does not work to get the bug.

I would check into the shooting gallery in the large size. Or the full throttle feeder. Although IME the shooting gallery is better if your feeding lots of small crickets.
I definitely go for crickets more, just because the roaches gross me out too much LOL i will probably need to get over it but it may take some time haha 😂

Thi might help...
"Signs of MBD include stunted growth, bent legs bones, fractures of those bones (double elbows or knees), weakness, falling off branches, grabbing at its own legs, tongue not shooting as far, a 'rubber' jaw, the mouth doesn’t close all the way, etc. "...
https://www.chameleonforums.com/thr...-like-how-it-happens-and-how-to-fix-it.95071/
Thank you!! I read it and it says it takes a while for any symptoms to show up but I’ll keep doing the necessary things to prevent it and help him grow up big and strong! 🥰

LOL aww that’s so cute!! Do crickets jump out of it though? Or do you only use it for worms, roaches, etc?
There will be the random cricket that jumps out, but most just climb to the top and hang out. Honestly, most don't survive long enough to jump out. Those that do jump out will usually climb on the cage walls and be hunted with vigor. I actually don't mind a few escaping as I feel it adds a little activity for my chams.

Idk if anyone has recommended this, but what about a feeder run? I know some people use it on the forums but I would think the crickets would be able to jump out?
Yes I am looking into getting one but for now, I am trying clear cups to see if he will take it and hopefully start to trust me more! 🙂

@Klyde O'Scope I actually went to buy some today, along with some butter worms and hornworms. I already have super worms, but they aren’t my favorite LOL they creep me out a little bit still but I think it’ll be okay 😂

Yes I am looking into getting one but for now, I am trying clear cups to see if he will take it and hopefully start to trust me more! 🙂

@Klyde O'Scope I actually went to buy some today, along with some butter worms and hornworms. I already have super worms, but they aren’t my favorite LOL they creep me out a little bit still but I think it’ll be okay 😂
Butterworms are not recommended. Chameleons can have allergic reactions to them.

When dubias are sub-adult, their appearance reminds me of roly-polies, so at first I thought of them that way and it helped. They're also so much slower than domestic cockroaches that escapes aren't as panic-inducing. ;)

Butterworms are not recommended. Chameleons can have allergic reactions to them.
Oh no! I didn’t know that. I watched a couple of videos and people suggested them. Ugh, I just bought 50 of them so I’ll need to figure out what to do with them LOL
I do have the red foot turtle, I’ll see if he likes them 😉

When dubias are sub-adult, their appearance reminds me of roly-polies, so at first I thought of them that way and it helped. They're also so much slower than domestic cockroaches that escapes aren't as panic-inducing. ;)
Lol that will definitely help! I loved roly-pollies as a kid. Thank you for easing my nerves! 🙂

My veiled ate for a couple weeks with the crickets being able to climb out of the cup on a stick, then he learned to go straight to the cup for them and I removed the stick, now he eats everything out of the cup everyday.
I hope to have this trust with my chameleon! He gets excited when I come by the cage since he knows I have food, but doesn’t trust me enough to want to be handled. I will keep making a routine out of it and hope he starts to do the same behavior as yours! 🙂

I hope to have this trust with my chameleon! He gets excited when I come by the cage since he knows I have food, but doesn’t trust me enough to want to be handled. I will keep making a routine out of it and hope he starts to do the same behavior as yours! 🙂
Oh, he hates being handled, I leave the crickets in the cup and probably 5-10 mins after I'm gone, he starts eating, lol. I just let the crickets escape onto the branches for a couple weeks so he could figure out where they were coming from, now he goes to the cup himself and eats.

Oh no! I didn’t know that. I watched a couple of videos and people suggested them. Ugh, I just bought 50 of them so I’ll need to figure out what to do with them LOL
I do have the red foot turtle, I’ll see if he likes them 😉
chameleon-food(1).jpg

Back
Top Bottom