Cup Feeding Help 🙂

KatotheChameleon

Established Member
Before, I was using tweezers but I was worried he would bite down on them, and didn’t want him to hurt himself. Also the stupid crickets kept jumping off of them and getting lost in the enclosure and I didn’t like that. I decided to buy these cups from Amazon that helps keep crickets inside since they can’t climb or jump out. The only thing is he HATES it. Like with a passion. Anything he sees it coming, he gets so mad. I have been able to get him to eat out of it after he realized there was crickets in it, but I don’t want him to go on a hunger strike because he doesn’t like the cup 😂
Also, he was kind of shaking a bit, and as a paranoid chameleon parent, when does this need to be cause of alarm? Based on his appearance, does he show any signs of MBD?
I have a video of it, but don’t know how to upload it here. I’ll try in a reply to attach the vid!

Attachments

• 46A40DD1-6622-4EC9-AD00-1EB1D72987BC.jpeg
    46A40DD1-6622-4EC9-AD00-1EB1D72987BC.jpeg
    175.7 KB · Views: 95
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    101.6 KB · Views: 97
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    130 KB · Views: 83
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    78.1 KB · Views: 99
The hazard with tweezers is injuring their tongue on a strike.
I'm dubious there's any container that a cricket can't jump out of, but some are better than others.

I'm not sure what you mean by
The only thing is he HATES it. Like with a passion. Anything he sees it coming, he gets so mad.
??? Can you elucidate?

I used that same little cup when I first got my cham and still use it at times when my panther is having trouble figuring out his shooting gallery feeder. Speaking of which, the shooting gallery feeder is great and the only regular escapees I’ve had are bsfl...they squirm thru. https://tkchameleons.com/products/shooting-gallery
This is soo cool!! I never knew this existed! Thank you for the link, I’ll order him one! 😊

The hazard with tweezers is injuring their tongue on a strike.
I'm dubious there's any container that a cricket can't jump out of, but some are better than others.

I'm not sure what you mean by

??? Can you elucidate?
Right, that’s why I’m trying to get him away from tweezers 🙂
I’ve been watching these crickets for 30 minutes and they can’t get out. I don’t think crickets can jump on surfaces that are rounded, or these crickets are just dumb lol
When he sees the cup, he puffs up, hisses, opens his mouth, and has his karate chop hands going. I don’t even put it into his enclosure, just the sight of it makes him angry 😂
I tried to hang it in the enclosure but all he did was not move and stare at it. I just am not sure if it’s the color or the fact it’s just a new thing?

I forgot to mention that when I first used the little cup, I drilled some tiny holes and removed the suction cup thing and zip tied it to be a more permanent fixture. I also drilled a few tiny holes in the bottom so it could drain any stray misting water.
Good idea with the bottom of the cup! The suction cup actually unscrews off, so I did make a hole in the enclosure to hang it, but he doesn’t like it in there, so I don’t leave it. I just use it during feeding and put it away so he’s not stressed. Maybe he just needs to get used to it? 🤷‍♀️

This is him right now. I know he’s hungry because I just fed him out of my hand, but the bowl just isn’t his friend lol

Attachments

• 7F8A9EA7-83AC-4606-91AF-0954F49400C4.jpeg
    7F8A9EA7-83AC-4606-91AF-0954F49400C4.jpeg
    274.2 KB · Views: 76
It could be an adjustment thing, or he could be responding to your encroaching on his turf.
These little dudes are extremely territorial. I get a similar response anytime I have to work inside it, or even get too close.

As long as you keep putting the feeder cup in the same place each time, he should adjust within a few days. Mine still objects when I put his cup in place, but he's fine after I leave. How fast he goes to it to eat depends on how hungry he is, and I've noticed he has "hungry colors" when eating, approaching the cup, or hunting loose escaped crickets.

I also drilled a few tiny holes in the bottom so it could drain any stray misting water.
I thought of this, but I've been removing it before misting commences. Last night was the first time I forgot... :oops: I lost a couple roaches, but it turned out one was faking being drowned (started walking around in the trash after I dumped the waterlogged bodies). Another way dubias have of playing possum!

What size holes did you drill? I want to make sure they're large enough to drain without surface tension preventing, but small enough the roaches won't climb through & escape.

It could be an adjustment thing, or he could be responding to your encroaching on his turf.
These little dudes are extremely territorial. I get a similar response anytime I have to work inside it, or even get too close.

As long as you keep putting the feeder cup in the same place each time, he should adjust within a few days. Mine still objects when I put his cup in place, but he's fine after I leave. How fast he goes to it to eat depends on how hungry he is, and I've noticed he has "hungry colors" when eating, approaching the cup, or hunting loose escaped crickets.

I thought of this, but I've been removing it before misting commences. Last night was the first time I forgot... :oops: I lost a couple roaches, but it turned out one was faking being drowned (started walking around in the trash after I dumped the waterlogged bodies). Another way dubias have of playing possum!

What size holes did you drill? I want to make sure they're large enough to drain without surface tension preventing, but small enough the roaches won't climb through & escape.
No idea. Is easiest to just show you what I did. I use the zip tie as a handle now.
AA6F89E7-0FDD-4BF2-9809-070784A44633.jpeg

I had some issues with cup feeding my baby...the solution for me was to use a clear plastic deli cup - it's nice and wide, and clear, so he has no issues seeing the insects inside of it. I tie it to a branch near his perching area using a twist tie. It's been a great solution for us! Just in case you need a backup plan.

I got one of these for roaches in addition to the feeder run cup I built for the crix. Roaches hide in the bottom of the run cup, so he wasn't eating them. This works. I showed him the roaches in it a couple times, and he seems to learn quick. Helps if they're moving though; if they're playing possum (as dubias are wont to do) he ignores them.
1622736830309.png

It hangs nicely off of any of the dowels, but I always use the same spot.

I use the Full Throttle Feeders in both of my enclosures. They are basically a permanent fixture in the enclosure. I only remove them to clean them. By leaving them in the enclosure, they become a part of the chams territory and they are no longer afraid of that strange new thing in their home. They will feel more secure and willing to feed from it. My 1 year old Panther will routinely inspect his feeder to see if there is any thing in it, and literally RUNS to the feeder when he sees me coming with the feeder bag (my "shake and bake" duster bag). :)

I tried that one when mine was little and Beman hated it... When he would he would hit it from the outside and obviously that does not work to get the bug.

I would check into the shooting gallery in the large size. Or the full throttle feeder. Although IME the shooting gallery is better if your feeding lots of small crickets.

You said..." Based on his appearance, does he show any signs of MBD?"...I don't see any outward signs of MBD.

How old is your chameleon?
He is 2-3 months per the reptillium! I have a good set up going but being a new owner, I am not sure what to look for. I see severe pictures but not really any of the MBD developing.

That’s true! He is getting used to me now so he doesn’t get upset when I’m around but when my husband is around (who works a lot and doesn’t come into my office much), he gets super anxious and hides and will watch him behind leaves 😂 I’ll keep trying with him though, thank you for the advice!!

I had some issues with cup feeding my baby...the solution for me was to use a clear plastic deli cup - it's nice and wide, and clear, so he has no issues seeing the insects inside of it. I tie it to a branch near his perching area using a twist tie. It's been a great solution for us! Just in case you need a backup plan.
I’ll definitely try the clear cup and see if that helps. Maybe the crickets are hard to see foe him! 😄

Back
Top Bottom