Cuddles the Water Dragon-new addition

Julirs

Well, I helped out yesterday at the FL Chams booth at the Sarasota/Tampa show, and of course came home with something...

My Daughter fell in love with "Cuddles":confused: the Chinese Water Dragon.

Anyone else have these guys?
DSCN3052.jpg

DSCN3054.jpg

Aww Juli, Cuddles is very cute! And I see your daugheter is a Yo Gabba Gabba fan, mine is too.:p

i thought green basilisk and water dragon were the same. we have green basilisk. huh. didnt know that.

No-these guys are a bit bulky to run on water-but with those huge toes they can navigate quickly across a table, or bed, or whatever else they have a mind to! :)

I kept/bred/hatched/raised green water dragons for over 15 years so if you have any questions, just ask...I'll do my best to answer them.

Its neat that they will eat almost as much greens, veggies and fruit as they will insects! I never had to worry about feeding them if the insect order came in late!

I kept/bred/hatched/raised green water dragons for over 15 years so if you have any questions, just ask...I'll do my best to answer them.

Its neat that they will eat almost as much greens, veggies and fruit as they will insects! I never had to worry about feeding them if the insect order came in late!

Excellent! It is always good to know that there is someone with expereince to ask questions to. :)

What did you typically house yours in? Substrate?

Some were in glass cages with wooden lids and others had glass cages with screen lids that were partially covered with plastic to help keep the humidity in.

They had divided floors so that 1/3rd of the cage was water. I had drains and a tap under the cages so that the water could be drained out easily. The water was always kept only deep enough that when their feet were on the floor of it their noses could still be above it so they couldn't drown.

I used cypress mulch as a substrate. With hatchlings (up until they were about 6 months old) I never used a substrate.

I had two trios up until a couple of years ago. The females all died of old age so I let my two males go to someone else so they could continue to breed. I was trying to cut down on the number of cages I had to look after. I miss them, but it was something I had to do.

I fed them a wide variety of greens and veggies and a bit of fruit in addition to the insects. I dusted the same as I do for veiled chameleons. (I'm sure you've seem my dusting schedule and the list of greens, etc. on here many times by now??)

my basilisk has a all wood cage 7' high, 4' long, and 3' deep. with an acrylic bottom so i can make a large pond for him with a filter and the like.

I just got a baby water dragon myself. I also didn't put him on any substrate. I'll wait until he/she is older. What are some good plants to use with these guys once they are bigger. I would imagine the wieght of them would probaby break a lot of plants.

Well, I helped out yesterday at the FL Chams booth at the Sarasota/Tampa show, and of course came home with something...

My Daughter fell in love with "Cuddles":confused: the Chinese Water Dragon.

Anyone else have these guys?
DSCN3052.jpg

DSCN3054.jpg

Awww he looks like ours. We have 2 a male and female they are great.

We named our male Slick Rick and female Princess.

Slick Rick can slick away easy and Princess thinks she is one.Acts like one too.

I used to have one as a teenager. They are so cool! Strong personality in them as well! Very active.

I was wanting one, but kept myself from buying it last week, in research stage, glad some people on here have them!! Do they bite or get aggressive? Do Beardies?

Like any lizard-there are personality differences, but Cuddles is a very gentle lizard. He has never even attemped to even give an indication that he might bite.

I used to have two (Little D and Tito)....I loved them they have such great personalities....Little D was a wild man and he loved to just hang out on the back of the couch (I got him when he was tiny!) Tito was more the I'll sit and watch everyone around me....Man I miss those guys! Have fun with yours and by the was if you start now you can train them to walk on a leash....I know crazy and they really don't get really big but it was useful for vet checkups and days in the park!

Back
Top Bottom