Cua

Laurenh

I feel like our chameleon is not feeling himself lately. He has a waterfall for water/humidity and I have uploaded pictures of what he is in. And vitamins and what his crickets eat. His eyes seem closed more then they were. I'm guessing he is around 6 months. His cage dementions are 18"w 18"D and 24"H. He's got a 13 watt day light and 60w uv light. The day light is 12 hours on and UV we keep on at all times. Any advice would be greatly appreciated

Attachments

• 9E9E8FDE-F083-4D0B-ADE9-9C387BDF6DFE.jpeg
    9E9E8FDE-F083-4D0B-ADE9-9C387BDF6DFE.jpeg
    255.2 KB · Views: 46
  • AF71B083-DEF3-480B-A368-F8255588BF79.jpeg
    AF71B083-DEF3-480B-A368-F8255588BF79.jpeg
    221.5 KB · Views: 48
Welcome to the forum!

You said..."He's got a 13 watt day light and 60w uv light. The day light is 12 hours on and UV we keep on at all times"...there should be no lights on at night at all.
Can you show photos of the whole cage including the lights please?

Hi welcome to the forum. Hun you have a female. And there are some major husbandry points that are off for her. UVB lighting is one of the big ones. Along with overall enclosure set up and size.
Females also lay infertile eggs like chickens do. So they have to have a lay bin. See image below... And start reading everything at this link. This is going to help you a ton. THen come back here and ask questions about what you have read. https://chameleonacademy.com/chameleon-husbandry-program-getting-started-with-chameleons/

laybin graphic.jpg

You said..."He has a waterfall for water/humidity"...we don't recommend waterfalls since they can be havens for bacteria if not properly cleaned constantly.

Does your calcium powder contain D3?

Recommended supplementing should be ...dust the insects lightly with a phos free calcium powder just before feeding them to the chameleon at all feedings but two a month. On those two days, use a vitamin powder with D3 and a prEformed source of vitamin A.

It's recommended that you use fresh greens (dandelions, kale, collards, endive, etc), veggies (squash, carrots, sweet red peppers, sweet potato, zucchini, etc), a small amount of fruits such as berries, pear, apple to feed/gutload the insects.

Here is the enclosure and lights. Thankful for any advice my husband purchased him for his son and we were under educated but (she) has become a part of our family

Attachments

• 8E25F85B-C55C-4E6F-888F-227AB34674DD.jpeg
    8E25F85B-C55C-4E6F-888F-227AB34674DD.jpeg
    195.7 KB · Views: 46
What can I put for her to drink in instead of the waterfall as I was told they don't drink from bowls and will dehydrate ?

What can I put for her to drink in instead of the waterfall as I was told they don't drink from bowls and will dehydrate ?
Hi and welcome. While there’s several ways to impart husbandry knowledge to you, the best would be for you to go to https://chameleonacademy.com/chameleon-husbandry-program-getting-started-with-chameleons/ as was suggested. Note any questions that you have and then ask away here. Another resource is Neptune the chameleon on YouTube. She has a ton of videos for just about everything. This is just one of them.

Here is the enclosure and lights. Thankful for any advice my husband purchased him for his son and we were under educated but (she) has become a part of our family
It's important to have either the long linear reptisun 5.0 or the Arcadia 6% for UVB and white lights should be used for the basking light....morse often recommended is a regular household incandescent bulb of a wattage that produces the appropriate temperature in the basking area.

For female veiled chameleons, it's important to keep them from producing huge clutches by controlling their diet and their basking temperature as they approach sexual maturity. If they are allowed to produce huge clutches they will almost certainly develop follicular stasis and egg binding and die at a young age.

Back
Top Bottom