Crusty eye?

Gbeats

I have had this little girl for 2 weeks, from petsmart. Her right eye is crusty and brownish and the other looks really healthy and green. I setup a vet appt tomorrow morning, I'm just wondering if you guys have dealt with eye problems, and what you think this might be? TIA

Attachments

• 20190331_075955.jpg
    20190331_075955.jpg
    116.9 KB · Views: 388
  • 20190331_080002.jpg
    20190331_080002.jpg
    118.3 KB · Views: 304
Can’t tell if it’s just the remnants of an old shed, or if there’s a problem. A closer pic would be great. That being said, we just rescued a female veiled with a crusty closed eye. The vet flushed it out with saline, gave us some eye drops and the problem has been fixed. I’m sure your cham’ll be ok, if she’s eating well, and drinking lots.

Can’t tell if it’s just the remnants of an old shed, or if there’s a problem. A closer pic would be great. That being said, we just rescued a female veiled with a crusty closed eye. The vet flushed it out with saline, gave us some eye drops and the problem has been fixed. I’m sure your cham’ll be ok, if she’s eating well, and drinking lots.
Yes she does eat very well, but she hates the misting, but I have a dripper as well. Her eyes aren't sunken so I'm pretty sure she is drinking

Yeah, it looks a bit crusty for just an old shed. My guess is she’s got a little infection, or else something in there agitating the eye. Either way, a vet trip will almost certainly solve the problem: A good flushing and some eye drops if it’s an infection.

As for hydration, check her urates (the white part of the poop). It should be mostly bone white. If you see a lot of yellow/orange, she’s probably dehydrated. Some chams just don’t know what’s good for them and are fussy drinkers. Keep up with the misting, and throw an occasional horn worm into the mix—they’re like 80% water.

• Your Chameleon - veiled, unsure exact age, maybe 4 months?, I've had her for 2 weeks
  • Handling - once a day before I feed her
  • Feeding - crickets dusted in calcium without d3, gave her coated with reptivite once. I give her about 10, she eats about 8 a day. The crickets are fed sweet potatoes and dandelion. I also give them flukers all in one cause the petstore sold me that with her.
  • Watering - I don't see her drink. She hates the misting. I do it twice a day for about 2 minutes. I also have a dripper. I have been treating the water with the reptile safe stuff...hoping this is OK
  • Fecal Description - black and white feces. See at least one in there a day but hard to notice with all the plants and all
  • History - none

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - 16x16x36, chameleon kit screen cage
  • Lighting - linear t5ho reptisun 10.0, br30 75watt flood in deep done. On 8a-8p
  • Temperature & Humidity - waiting on temp gun from Amazon, don't have a humidity gauge
  • Plants - Croton, umbrella plant, devil's ivy
  • Placement - cage is in the spare room that is not high traffic. She is on a table that is about 3 feet off the ground
  • Location - South Jersey

Current Problem - crusty eye

--------------

Attachments

• 20190327_093901.jpg
    20190327_093901.jpg
    399.7 KB · Views: 142
As for hydration, check her urates (the white part of the poop). It should be mostly bone white. If you see a lot of yellow/orange, she’s probably dehydrated. Some chams just don’t know what’s good for them and are fussy drinkers. Keep up with the misting, and throw an occasional horn worm into the mix—they’re like 80% water.

Yeah it's white!

That’s a decent enclosure, good job. Remember horizontal branches at varying heights from the top are important for the Cham to be able to chose her preferred basking temp. A humidity meter is kind of a necessity, their not expensive. Enjoy your new girl!

Further to my last,

There’s a wealth of good info about Gutloading ingredients on this forum. Skip the Fluker’s stuff, and pick up some Repashy ‘superload’. Other than ‘superload’, I use collard greens, dandelion leaves, carrots, oranges, and apples.

• Your Chameleon - veiled, unsure exact age, maybe 4 months?, I've had her for 2 weeks
  • Feeding - crickets dusted in calcium without d3, gave her coated with reptivite once. I give her about 10, she eats about 8 a day. The crickets are fed sweet potatoes and dandelion. I also give them flukers all in one cause the petstore sold me that with her.
  • Watering - I don't see her drink. She hates the misting. I do it twice a day for about 2 minutes. I also have a dripper. I have been treating the water with the reptile safe stuff...hoping this is OK
  • Fecal Description - black and white feces. See at least one in there a day but hard to notice with all the plants and all
  • History - none

Cage Info:
  • Lighting - linear t5ho reptisun 10.0, br30 75watt flood in deep done. On 8a-8p
  • Temperature & Humidity - waiting on temp gun from Amazon, don't have a humidity gauge
  • Placement - cage is in the spare room that is not high traffic. She is on a table that is about 3 feet off the ground

--------------
hi, welcome to the forums, there are just a few suggestions I would like to make to you. definitely get rid of the flukers for some repashy or cricket crack, you need a humidity gauge or two, you will eventually need a might cage for females minimum 18x18x36 but I like mine at 2x2x4 dragon strand cages are good. supplements should be no d3 every day and d3 and multivitamin twice a month alternating weeks.

• History - none

Cage Info:

--------------
Another note here. You are using the compact UVB bulb that came with your "kit" these are not effective for distributing UVB to your cham. You will need to pick up a T5HO fixture with a 10.0 or 12% Arcadia UVB bulb. These are long linear fixtures. That place through the middle of the top of your enclosure will provide a wide and deep arch of light. Here are some additional graphics.
Supplements pic.jpeg
Gutloading 101.jpeg
UVB lighting pic.jpeg
nonUVB pic.jpeg
Basic Feeder pic.jpeg

Thank you! I do have the t5ho linear I just took that pic before I put it up a couple days ago
Ok perfect. So you will want to move it forward to the center of your cage. Also the vine you have that goes right up to the basking bulb is a thermal burn waiting to happen. Much too close to it. You want your highest branch to be about a 7 inch drop from the screen. You will also want to add many more vines to the enclosure. Think of them as road ways for her to travel on. :)
What bulbs are you currently using for the dual dome?

Ok perfect. So you will want to move it forward to the center of your cage. Also the vine you have that goes right up to the basking bulb is a thermal burn waiting to happen. Much too close to it. You want your highest branch to be about a 7 inch drop from the screen. You will also want to add many more vines to the enclosure. Think of them as road ways for her to travel on. :)
What bulbs are you currently using for the dual dome?
I have a phillips br30 75 watt flood light and the other I don't turn on

UPDATE: saw the vet this morning (awesome reptile vet in South Jersey "all creatures veterinary care center". Doc said there were a few places that had retained shed and she got off the dead skin around the eye best she could. Also possibility it was a very mild thermal burn as her whole right side has a darker color than the left.

Finally got the temp under the basking spot. 101! Whoa! Added some perches and readjusted lights and I think I'm gonna downgrade my floodlight to a 60W if I can find one.. looking now. 75W might be too much for my setup right now.

Doc also said to increase mistings, but my cham hates it and runs!
Anyone with suggestions are welcome.

Adjustments

Attachments

• 20190401_130558.jpg
    20190401_130558.jpg
    387.7 KB · Views: 123
  • 20190401_130618.jpg
    20190401_130618.jpg
    396 KB · Views: 108
Back
Top Bottom