Cross breeding panther chameleons.....Yup.....yup

alphakenc

Chameleon Enthusiast
What happen if you cross breeding one panther chameleon to another? Will it become stronger species or weaker? Color mutation ? Temperament? Behavior? Anyone like to share their thoughts ? :rolleyes:

better put your flame suit on. If you want to see folks that have already done it got check out the Kammers. You really aren't cross breeding them as they are all Furcifer pardalis. However you will find folks that will stick pins in a voodoo doll to prevent you from doing it. The only thing I would say about it is if you are going to do it, be honest about it. Don't sell any of the offspring as anything other than what they are. The females will probably not sell very well or for very much, fully colored males could sell for more depending on how they turned out. I had a nosey fally male that you couldn't tell was a cross but it was, so I could have offered him as a regular fally and charged more. I ended up keeping him because he was very cool and looked more like a wild caught in term of color and ornamentation.

better put your flame suit on. If you want to see folks that have already done it got check out the Kammers. You really aren't cross breeding them as they are all Furcifer pardalis. However you will find folks that will stick pins in a voodoo doll to prevent you from doing it. The only thing I would say about it is if you are going to do it, be honest about it. Don't sell any of the offspring as anything other than what they are. The females will probably not sell very well or for very much, fully colored males could sell for more depending on how they turned out. I had a nosey fally male that you couldn't tell was a cross but it was, so I could have offered him as a regular fally and charged more. I ended up keeping him because he was very cool and looked more like a wild caught in term of color and ornamentation.

I do not want to sell them, I just wonder if the colors will be looking better than usual,after all we all living in a rainbow color world, I know I would love to looking at a colorful chameleon rather than a ordinary kind thats all,it just my COLORFUL thought, thanks for the reply.......yup ......yup

Some end up looking amazing.

But you never know what you will get. Crosses from the same clutch can look completely different from eachother..

Most people don't like the idea of the crosses because some irresponsible idiots sell them off as pure locales.. and say the people that buy them go and breed they're cross thinking it's pure.. it begins a long line of tainted bloodlines.

If every one started breeding crosses eventually you would just have a bunch of random Panthers and no real locale identification..

Personally

I think it's ok as long as you are being up front selling them and you aren't selling them to irresponsible people.. Some of the crosses I've seen bring out colors and patterns you will not find in your pure locales and I think they are amazing.

My two cents

Some end up looking amazing.

But you never know what you will get. Crosses from the same clutch can look completely different from eachother..

Most people don't like the idea of the crosses because some irresponsible idiots sell them off as pure locales.. and say the people that buy them go and breed they're cross thinking it's pure.. it begins a long line of tainted bloodlines.

If every one started breeding crosses eventually you would just have a bunch of random Panthers and no real locale identification..

Personally

I think it's ok as long as you are being up front selling them and you aren't selling them to irresponsible people.. Some of the crosses I've seen bring out colors and patterns you will not find in your pure locales and I think they are amazing.

My two cents

Yup....yup....what if male Nosy Mitsio cross with female red bar ambilobe? Will the offsprings become red bar also?? Colorful or not ???:rolleyes:

That's the thing you never really know what you will get.. Some might come out looking like pure mitsio, some look pure red bar, and some look like a crazy mix of both. There is no rhyme or reason with the crosses.

That's the thing you never really know what you will get.. Some might come out looking like pure mitsio, some look pure red bar, and some look like a crazy mix of both. There is no rhyme or reason with the crosses.

Yup.....yup....no matter black or white.....Michael Jackson kind :rolleyes:, Thanks.

IMO Crosses are great they offer new color patterns that are not found in the wild. I agree with what most said as long as you are honest about what you are selling you are good but that goes for whatever you are selling so its pretty common sense.

IMO Crosses are great they offer new color patterns that are not found in the wild. I agree with what most said as long as you are honest about what you are selling you are good but that goes for whatever you are selling so its pretty common sense.

One thing to consider when crossing locales is not your ethical challenge to sell the females as crosses but who you sell them to. Say you get a clutch of 30 with a handful of males. The 5 or 6 males are stunning but all the females look like any other panther locale. You might sell all of them as crosses to many individuals but then they are stuck with a cross female and realize a year later after spending time in the hobby that their offspring won't bring much in the market so they decide to pass them as pure. This is why most don't encourage crossing locales. It has nothing to do with how the offspring turn out aesthetically or health-wise.

Back
Top Bottom