Crix Help

Bio123

I am really worried about my cricket eggs. I have 100+ eggs in a small cup made from the bottom of a gatorade bottle. It is filled with moist soil and the crix layed the eggs as deep as they could go. Recently, I saw mold (white threads, web like) cover the topsoil of my container. Are my eggs going to live? I've had them for a week now.

Sounds like your soil is too moist. Allow it to dry out a little. Mold can/will kill them. If you can remove some of the mold without disturbing the soil, I would try to do that.

I kept my eggs in a jar with little ventilation, so i'm going to leave the lid open. I hope this will solve my problem...

I've found cricket eggs to be extremely variable. I tried hatching some, but they got dry and died, then I had the next ones slightly moist and they hatched. But then sometimes I've given up on eggs for a month or so and the soil dries out and then they start to hatch. I just gave up on it. Now I have cockroaches.

Well, I would have roaches if my parents would let me. I'll have to live with breeding crix for now though. Would it be a good idea if I separate the eggs from the soil, and then put them on a moist paper towel?

You may end up smooshing them if you tried that.
I found that if you talk to your parents in a calm mature manor and tell them all the perks about the cockroaches (dubias for me) they'll let you have them. I told my mom about how they couln't fly, they didn't smell, there would be no escapees as they can't crawl up plastic or glass (and DONT JUMP!), and if there was an escape, they'd be out of the house immediately. It also helped that I told her, that for whatever reason they should get out, they will die in the winter months cause it's too cold, and in the summer months they leave the house because they prefer the outdoors.

Talking clamly to you parents in a mature manor will show them that you're serious and trying to be adult about it. When you throw a tantrum or get mad it makes them just not want to get you anything because you aren't mature enough to handle anything. Also, if they say no, give it up for a few months then try again.

Well, I would have roaches if my parents would let me. I'll have to live with breeding crix for now though. Would it be a good idea if I separate the eggs from the soil, and then put them on a moist paper towel?

No, do not remove them from the soil. Just leave them alone. If the mold is bad, you can safely remove the top layer of soil and still have plenty of eggs left to hatch.

Back
Top Bottom