Critique My Cage

webghost

Hi all,

I'm new to chamelons and was wondering if my setup was good enough. I've only had my Jackson for almost 2 weeks now.

LINK: My Enclosure

I put a few vines, a real plant "Peace Lilly" which I purchased specifically because it has low allergens, Mist King misting system, UV bulb as well as a 60 watt ceramic heater. I'm not sure if I should decorate it even further with fake plants/foliage but if this will suffice, I will leave it the way it is. If not then I can definitely add more stuff. Please let me know if I missed anything or if I added something which was unnecessary.

Thanks!

He really needs more coverage. Chams like to hide in their plants and he can't. Need more leafy things. Add some more vines, or dowels or rope- they act as highways for them to get around in their cage. Wrap leafy things around his highways. They should be able to go from top to bottom several different ways and across. He will most likely stay near the top, though they do cruise their cages so he needs hiding places up there too

He is pretty:D

Hi all,

I'm new to chamelons and was wondering if my setup was good enough. I've only had my Jackson for almost 2 weeks now.

LINK: My Enclosure

I put a few vines, a real plant "Peace Lilly" which I purchased specifically because it has low allergens, Mist King misting system, UV bulb as well as a 60 watt ceramic heater. I'm not sure if I should decorate it even further with fake plants/foliage but if this will suffice, I will leave it the way it is. If not then I can definitely add more stuff. Please let me know if I missed anything or if I added something which was unnecessary.

Thanks!

Hello,
adding more branches and plants would definitely be a good idea :)
What kind of UVB buld do you use (name)?
Get rid of the ceramic heater and get a spot with maybe 70W or so.
chams connect heat with light so they won´t recognize that this is a warmer spot.
Which measures does your cage have?

is that a veild? As alot them eat plants. Are you sure those white flowers in there are cham safe and not toxic if eaten?

Hello,
adding more branches and plants would definitely be a good idea :)
What kind of UVB buld do you use (name)?
Get rid of the ceramic heater and get a spot with maybe 70W or so.
chams connect heat with light so they won´t recognize that this is a warmer spot.
Which measures does your cage have?

I will definitely add more branches/foliage tonight. I own 2 UVB bulbs. I'm using the Zilla Tropical one right now. I also have a ReptiSun 5.0 which I will be using next (in about 6 months when this one dies out)... or should I use that now.. not sure which is better. Anyways I will replace the ceramic bulb tonight as well.. wow you guys rock!

is that a veild? As alot them eat plants. Are you sure those white flowers in there are cham safe and not toxic if eaten?

Its a Jackson chameleon. Didn't consider the flower on the plant. I think it would be a good idea for me to take it off just in case...

I don´t know the Zilla bulb and have never seen those around here in Europe but i know the Reptisun is safe.
If by tonight you mean when the lights are off then please wait until tommorow.
Chams really need to be left alone at night so please do not disturb his sleep.
Why did you use that ceramic heat emitter?
Spots are way cheaper, you can simply buy one in the hardware store, get a ceramic bulb holder and that´s it.
Do you have low temperatures at night or what´s the reason?

unfortunately it is not only about theflower being toxic as the leaves can be as well. Chams will and do eat leaves when they feel the desire to. check on google or in these forums for safe plants for chameleons. home depot and lowes sells them quite frequently. also do not forget to wash the plants well after purchase and replace the soil with organic dirt.:)

I don´t know the Zilla bulb and have never seen those around here in Europe but i know the Reptisun is safe.
If by tonight you mean when the lights are off then please wait until tommorow.
Chams really need to be left alone at night so please do not disturb his sleep.
Why did you use that ceramic heat emitter?
Spots are way cheaper, you can simply buy one in the hardware store, get a ceramic bulb holder and that´s it.
Do you have low temperatures at night or what´s the reason?

The temp gets around 50-60 and wasn't sure if that was safe. I'm going to turn off the light at night and replace the ceramic heater with a spot lamp.

The leaves of this plant are not good for creating water drops. So buy a Ficus and/or a Schefflera and do this fast please ! A jacksonii cant live long without proper water supply

The temp gets around 50-60 and wasn't sure if that was safe. I'm going to turn off the light at night and replace the ceramic heater with a spot lamp.

I think 50 is a little low for longer terms, 60 should be okay.
Maybe eisentrauti can tell you more regarding to this.

The leaves of this plant are not good for creating water drops. So buy a Ficus and/or a Schefflera and do this fast please ! A jacksonii cant live long without proper water supply

The problem is I also have allergies to plants and flowers. I'm trying to do my best research to find BOTH:
1. Safe plants for the chameleon
2. Safe plants for me

So far I found Hibiscus which on the net says it is safe for people suffering with allergies.

Anyone else have this problem? If so, what plants did you pick?

Hibiscus, that has flowers on it. Thought pollen caused allergy issues.

I would think a vine like a pothos would be good for you and easy to keep alive too. My Hibiscus lasted about a month :(

The cage looks much better! much fuller!
I saw the basking bulb there in front of the wood thing on top, is there a uvb bulb behind it?
Cute Jacksons cham!

Yes it is a 50 watt Zoo Med Repti Halogen basking lamp. Not sure if it is too far from the cage but it is generating good heat.

Thanks! I'm trying to do all I can to ensure he remains happy in his habitat! :)

Yes it is a 50 watt Zoo Med Repti Halogen basking lamp. Not sure if it is too far from the cage but it is generating good heat.

Thanks! I'm trying to do all I can to ensure he remains happy in his habitat! :)

WHat are your temps reading at?

Back
Top Bottom