Crickets Wont Eat?

ForrestJungle

So i know its usually the other way around, but i can not ever get my crickets to eat. I have potatoes dusted with dino fuel, bell peppers, kale, cricket water from reptile food.com. I have also tried carrots, its like no crickets ever want to eat. Doesn't mean where i get them from. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Just offer the food. As many options as possible.

Hey will eat, they are bugs, not finicky chams.

Well its not like i am sitting there constantly monitoring them, but i put food in there and i clean it out and there is the same stuff i put in there with no bites or anything taken out of them? I just want to make sure that they are eating the food they should be so my cham gets the proper nutrition.

Their bites are really tiny--you might even need to use a magnifying glass to see them.

How many crickets do you have in what size keeper? Are there many dead crickets in with the live ones? Is there a lot of cricket feces? Either of the latter two items or crowding can create toxins in the atmosphere in the keeper that could impair their appetite.

Also, do you have something for them to hide in or under?

I get your concern--I see my crickets eating frequently, so it would be very disconcerting NOT to see them eating!

Good luck!

Sandy

Right now i have about 100 in a 2'x2'x8" plastic container. There is egg cartons for them to hide under, there is also toilet paper roles. There food is all in a lid to a rubermaide container. Also there are no dead ones and there is hardly any poop cuz i clean it all up :) ha i just have not had the best of luck with crickets. lol

Right now the room is at 68 F. Is that good or bad? Hey Lance!!! I sold Kelli to a woman who was ready for the babies ( unlike me) :) , but my male passed away....

What temps then would you suggest i keep them at? Also is it worth a try at breeding crickets? I want to breed this male jackson that i am getting. So i plan on having little Jacksons running around..

What temps then would you suggest i keep them at? Also is it worth a try at breeding crickets? I want to breed this male jackson that i am getting. So i plan on having little Jacksons running around..

You should probably focus on getting them to eat before you think of breeding. I don't breed them because it's more trouble than they are worth. They stink and I only pay $15 per thousand with zero shipping. They should be at least 75 degrees, warmer if breeding. I use a heating pad, they very rarely die, and when I put a salad-bowl sized serving of greens in, they are completely gone the next morning.

You should probably focus on getting them to eat before you think of breeding. I don't breed them because it's more trouble than they are worth. They stink and I only pay $15 per thousand with zero shipping. They should be at least 75 degrees, warmer if breeding. I use a heating pad, they very rarely die, and when I put a salad-bowl sized serving of greens in, they are completely gone the next morning.

Sorry to butt in on your thread but I also wanna know where you get them. The places I have looked at charge just as much, or more, for shipping as they do for the crickets.

WHERE IN THE WORLD DO YOU GET YOUR CRICKETS! :eek: I pay just about that much for 6 dozen at my lame pet store in my town!!!

Sorry to butt in on your thread but I also wanna know where you get them. The places I have looked at charge just as much, or more, for shipping as they do for the crickets.

LOL. I have people;)

It's all in the Karma, or Golden Rule, or whatever you want to call it. Do good things for people and always be honest, and they will do good things for you. There is a local guy with a really nice pet shop who occasionally buys panthers from me. I sell him healthy panthers at a fair price, he sells me feeders at his cost:)

Crickets

Forrest, I have found thar under 72 degrees crickets are less active. Also I have found when I tried to put suppliments on the fresh veggies they did not eat them!!! :( I put a light over them during the day and when at 80 degrees plus they eat EVERYTHING except fresh veggies dusted with suppliments!!! I suggest you warm them up a bit and do not put suppliments on the veggies! You can also use a blender and make a powder far better then anything you can buy and much cheeper,look at sandrachemeleon's gut load.(you can add suppliments to the powder mix as long as it is not to much) I also add dry powdered milk mix to my dry gut load If you use even a small part of what she suggests it will be far better then ANYTHING you can buy at 1/3 of the cost. Next try fresh squash,start with the soft ones (yellow,zuchinni) apples without the seeds, greens,oranges,mango,green leaf lettuce,sweet potatoe but you need to lightly steam to soften it up a bit,butternut squash steamed first etc. hope this helps

Where do I get these 25 dollar crickets?!?!? :)

Ghanns has fantastic crickets,you can also check your local bait store!! The bait/fishing store here sells me 1000 for $22.00 total out the door. That being said the best crickets I ever got was from Ghanns a site sponsor.

Ah, the cool temperature is the problem. Although mine eat at 72 deg F, crickets do best when kept fairly warm, around 80-90 degrees Fahrenheit. If you want them to breed, above 80 will stimulate breeding behavior. Keep in mind that crickets need adequate warmth to digest their food properly; cool temps can make them lethargic and practically eliminate their appetites.

This website offers some info that might be helpful:

http://www.wikihow.com/Raise-Your-Own-Crickets

Note the author suggests using a space heater to keep the crickets warm enough. I think you could also use heat tape (such as that used by many snake owners/breeders).

Hope things start going better with the crickets!

Back
Top Bottom