Crickets vs Dubia.

Bush baby

Avid Member
I'm thinking about returning to crickets after having feeding Dubia's to my 15 month old Jackson for the past two months. He was raised primarily on crickets, and other feeders like wax worms, hornworms, etc and never took Dubias until two months ago; i was happy that he had finally tasted and seemed to like them.

However ever since he has started eating Dubia's i have noticed several changes to his behavior that i find quite weird;

1) He went from pooping every other day, to every 7 -10 days.
2) He seems to crave water even more now that he's been eating the Dubia's
3) Now, as of last week, he won't touch the Dubia's and will ONLY eat Superworms - i know they are not the best thing but i gut load them pretty well, plus dust them with cricket crack and calcium.
4)He seems to want to bask way more than before.

Now, maybe i'm being paranoid but i attribute all these behavioral changes to his Dubia diet; he's basking more because they are harder to digest, also hence why his poop frequency changed. He craves water even more now because maybe they have less moisture content than crickets do, and now he seems to be on a partial hunger strike.

This is not really a health related post, just some curious observations i've noticed due to me changing from crickets to Dubia's. I like feeding Dubia's. They are clean, noiseless,don't smell and don't die off at the rate that crickets do, but if this behavior continues to get 'weirder' i may decide to switch back to crickets.

Your thoughts

Back
Top Bottom