Crickets or roaches as a staple:

FooL111394

Hello everyone I wanted to start a thread whether or not dubias roaches or crickets are better as a staple so that everyone can look back at this when needed. Below I will put a question sheet that you can copy/paste and fill out.(before filling make sure your statements are not pre-conceived and make sure your answers are researched somewhat.) Thankyou:D:

Pros of Crickets:

Cons of Crickets:

Pros of roaches:

Cons of Roaches:

Overall Reason who is Best as a Staple:

Hello everyone I wanted to start a thread whether or not dubias roaches or crickets are better as a staple so that everyone can look back at this when needed. Below I will put a question sheet that you can copy/paste and fill out.(before filling make sure your statements are not pre-conceived and make sure your answers are researched somewhat.) Thankyou:D:

Pros of Crickets:

Cons of Crickets:

Pros of roaches:

Cons of Roaches:

Overall Reason who is Best as a Staple:

Pros of Crickets: readily available, easy to gutload

Cons of Crickets:smell, chirp

Pros of roaches:breed fast, easy to gutload

Cons of Roaches:Not really any, especially If you get dubia, but some chams dont eat them

Overall Reason who is Best as a Staple:I like crickets personally even though I have 4 species of roach. I use crickets more then roaches.

I would "think" most people here like the roaches better.

Pros for roaches
-they breed very easily
-doesn't smell like crickets
-Quiet! Adult crickets are annoying
-easy to keep
-eats almost anything

Cons that I'm aware of
-Some chameleons dislike it? Or not used to it?
-for me I hate roaches!! but these guys kinda look like potatoe bugs.

Pros for crickets
-I would feed the pinheads off to the young chameleons.
-More of an easy access in case of emergency.. run to pet store to buy some.

Cons
-Stink
-Die easily if not care for
-Have to remove the dead ones out or the rest will die along also-dominoe effect
-stinks
-must clean out frequently

I perfer roaches better but at the moment I am feeding my chams crickets and fruitflies. As they get older I'm going to move to roaches and crickets as well. Not going to order as much adult crickets because I can't stand them chirping at night time.

Pros and cons in my opinion.

Cricket pros: Easy to gutload, readily available, readily accepted, you can put a laying box in your container take it out and a little while later have tons of pinheads for babies and smaller species, and cheaper than roaches.

Cricket cons: STINK, die off easily, chirping, escapees, and frequent cleaning.

Roach pros: Easy to breed, stink less or at least differently, also easy to gutload, meat to shell ratio is better, takes less to fill up on, quiet, less cleaning, and you can give them stale cereal or other leftover scraps before you send them to be gutloaded with the good stuff.

Cons: You cant feed most chams the larger ones so you have to breed them to get nymphs to feed off or you are wasting your money because the are expensive, not in every petshop, and not all chams like them.

I use crickets more than roaches right now. I am slowly getting a colony going but will still use both. Variety is good and like I said above its easy to get a ton of pinheads out of one box of crix.

I vote equally.

Roaches all the way. the only Con about them Ive seen is that they like to dig and hide in plants and only come out at night usually. So they kick soil all over the cage and dont get eaten as much. To stop it I just covered the plant base in screen. But otherwise theyre ten times more manageable than crickets and once they start breeding youll never run out.

Pros of Crickets:
Easy to gutload, readily available, no disgusting factor (how many people are there that can handle the thought of having roaches in their home. Majority won't even dare to touch it).

Cons of Crickets:
Dirty, stinks, noisy, die easily than roaches, and the damn escapees

Pros of roaches (Dubia only):
surprisingly clean, don't jump / fly, can't climb plastic, slow, meatier than crix, (apparently can convert beta carotene to a preformed vit A -don't quote me on this), doesn't chirp, easy to keep (kinda hard to kill roaches y'know), with enough time, enough adults, and proper care, you will no longer need to buy anymore roaches.

Cons of Roaches:
Elusive and masterful at hiding, can escape as well as crickets, discriminated by roommates and parents :), some chameleons will refuse to eat them.
Apparently, roaches can mechanically carry coccidia, some people might develop allergies to their droppings overtime.

Overall Reason which is Best as a Staple: Roaches is better as staples.
Many people often say goodbye COMPLETELY to crickets as soon as they are getting roaches colony.
I found that it's not realistic thinking that way.. but, that's just me:eek:

Back
Top Bottom