Crickets getting too big for my pygmy

lexievw

So I made a newbie mistake and put too many crickets in my cage for my pygmy. He has done a good job of eating some but there are about 4-6 left that are looking like they are getting too big to eat. I tried catching them but with no luck. Any suggestions of what I should do? Any good ways to catch crickets that I am missing? I even tried luring them in one of the cricket keeper tubes with food on the other end but only managed to catch one that way, the others smartened up to my tricks. I am going to pick up some pinheads today but worry about the the bigger ones eating them (or my pygmy)!! Thanks in advance for your help!

u could put down a pc of tape with the sticky side up and a pc of food in the middle, but you will have to make sure your cham dosent get stuck to it.

u could put down a pc of tape with the sticky side up and a pc of food in the middle, but you will have to make sure your cham dosent get stuck to it.

Or just use the tape to grab them. I'm sure if you were to put the tape on top of them it would grab them.

You could also take a stick and squish them. It takes awhile. If you make a little hole against the side of the glass crickets like to go down in the hole. Makes a perfect squishing place, (I do that)

I have all but one caught, thanks for the advice, I kind of did a combo of all suggestions and got them! Sneaky little suckers. After this experience, I have decided to try fruit flies.

How many fruit flies should you feed your pyg a day? Just curious as I moved to them instead of crickets because the crickets were too hard to manage as I couldn't get a hold of pinheads very often. Any advice? I put a dozen in today and they are so small I can't tell if he has eaten them or not. But not sure how many he really needs, I used to feed him a dozen crickets every other day but the flies are obviously smaller. Any ideas? Also, will my pyg get as much nutrition that he needs just from the flies (as I used to gut load the crickets)? Thanks!

Never gave my brev ff because they were so small. When they were babies I hatched out crickets and gave them hatchlings.

Never gave my brev ff because they were so small. When they were babies I hatched out crickets and gave them hatchlings.

What do you feed yours? I am just having a hard time finding an easy solution for him? The crickets just grow too fast and I don't have a space to breed them myself and the closest store that sells pinheads is 45 min away. The fruit flies seem a bit easier but just got them tonight so not sure if he will take to them. He hasn't eaten crickets in a couple days I don't think so I am hoping the ff will be ok.

Back
Top Bottom