Crickets-From boxes to bins...How do you do it?

Tige21v

Avid Member
Looking for a better way to get them from the box to the bin. Especially interested in how you manage to keep the frass and any dead out.

TIA

I get 250-500 at a time and just dump the box in my bin, holding it low to avoid escapees. Daily cleaning with moist paper towel to remove frass and the dead was just too gross for me. I’m currently trying a bioactive bin for my crickets...organic soil/coco coir mix with dwarf white isopods and springtails. It’s been about 2-3 weeks or so and seems to working great. No odor and I don’t see any mortality problems.

Cut the side of the box not the top with a box cutter, peel it back and shake out the contents inside the very large bin. Don't do this in the kitchen you will probably lose one or two. Then you can cut open the top and pull up the bottom flaps to get any that are hidden.
Alternately open your box into a large garbage bag and pour the contents into your bin.
I don't worry about the frass they are just going to make more in a minute.

Cut the side of the box not the top with a box cutter, peel it back and shake out the contents inside the very large bin. Don't do this in the kitchen you will probably lose one or two. Then you can cut open the top and pull up the bottom flaps to get any that are hidden.
Alternately open your box into a large garbage bag and pour the contents into your bin.
I don't worry about the frass they are just going to make more in a minute.
This is what I current do. 30 gallon trash bag in an empty can. Shake the boxes (usually 2) into the bag, then gather them all into one corner of the bag, cut the bag down, and then just Place what's left of the bag inside the bin until they all crawl out. in theory, all the live ones should crawl out and into the egg crate in the bin, and the dead ones and the frass should remain behind.but they don't always cooperate lol

This is what I current do. 30 gallon trash bag in an empty can. Shake the boxes (usually 2) into the bag, then gather them all into one corner of the bag, cut the bag down, and then just Place what's left of the bag inside the bin until they all crawl out. in theory, all the live ones should crawl out and into the egg crate in the bin, and the dead ones and the frass should remain behind.but they don't always cooperate lol
Use a big spare bin to dump it out in (cut and flip cricket box very quickly!), the put clean egg flats over the crickets. After a few seconds, most will climb on. Transfer that egg flat to your cricket bin, shake off and repeat. After a bit, most of the live crickets will be transferred over without any dead ones or frass with them! It’s how I do it and got it from The Dart Queen on YouTube

Use a big spare bin to dump it out in (cut and flip cricket box very quickly!), the put clean egg flats over the crickets. After a few seconds, most will climb on. Transfer that egg flat to your cricket bin, shake off and repeat. After a bit, most of the live crickets will be transferred over without any dead ones or frass with them! It’s how I do it and got it from The Dart Queen on YouTube

Very simple!
Very cool!
I'll have to give it a try.

Instead of paper towel tubes I use "cricket condos"
I rip the egg crate into individual strips and wire them together. 20210119_145948.jpg 20210119_145938.jpg

Just shake out what I need .
They seem to like it. Many more hang out in them than paper towel tubes.
This is an average dump
20210119_150007.jpg

Back
Top Bottom