Crickets climbing and jumping

Video Master

So as I design and get my cage ready, I want to know if crickets can climb up PVC pipe. I am thinking a 4" tube and having screen in the bottom of it so water can drain through. Also how high can crickets jump or do they not jump? You can see the PVC pipe in this picture and this is what is holding the branches of the umbrella plant apart so I get lots of coverage in the cage.

I want to use that PVC as a feeding cup as it is directly in the middle of the cage.

Cage_Updated_5.JPG

I am going to bump this thread as nobody said if it is possible or not for the crickets to climb the walls of PVC pipe. Does anyone have any experience with PVC and crickets?

To be honest with you I have had crickets inside a cup about 4 inches tall while prepping other things and they didn't get out. They cant climb plastic. The only way they will get out is if they jump and they wont jump unless you have your hands in there and they feel threatened so if you were to just throw them in there and leave them there I doubt they would get out.

I would venture to guess that it may be too smooth for them to climb up the sides of the PVC. You may need to rough it up with a wire wheel in a cordless drill. That will give them texture to cling to. I like the idea of using the PVC. Just be sure you clean it thoroughly before feedings as the texture grooves could begin to gather particles.

I would actually rather they not climb the sides as I will be using it as a feeding cup that the chameleon can look down on and get the food from many angles as you can tell since it is the center of the cage. I want ot just throw the crickets in the cup and go. Make it nice and easy.

Thank you for the compliments on the cage, it is coming along nicely. Just need another misting nozzle and I think I will be all set for July. Well another webcam as well that will be watching the cage. The current one watches the temperature and humidity gauges. Here is a link to the webcam page: http://www.dinnerwithchefd.com/cams.html Just something I can look at quick from my phone or what not to make sure that everything is going good. The cameras even have night vision. I am such a geek!

I finished up the feed cup that I was talking about. I might go back and get rid of the ledge that is in it, but that will be easy to grind off. There are no sharp edges at all as it is fully sealed in hot glue. This sits in the middle of the large umbrella plant that is in the photo that I posted above. You can see it embedded in the middle of the plant.

FeedCup_1.JPG

FeedCup_2.JPG

FeedCup_3.JPG

your enclosure looks great! i also like the idea of the pvc feeder cup :) i would just make sure that there are no jagged edges that your future cham could cut or catch its tongue on when it goes to get its crickets!!

your enclosure looks great! i also like the idea of the pvc feeder cup :) i would just make sure that there are no jagged edges that your future cham could cut or catch its tongue on when it goes to get its crickets!!

Thanks for the compliments! Definitely don't want the kiddo to get hurt. The nice thing about this is that it is a union piece made to join 2 pipes together so it is all smooth from the factory. The only rough part was where the screen was cut and I made sure to get a nice bead of hot glue to cover everything and make it nice and smooth with no sharp edges sticking out.

The main reason for the PVC is to keep the branches of the large umbrella plant spread apart but instead it only being for that I decided to make use of how deep it was. I think it is pretty genius since it was going to be in there anyways.

Thanks for the compliments! Definitely don't want the kiddo to get hurt. The nice thing about this is that it is a union piece made to join 2 pipes together so it is all smooth from the factory. The only rough part was where the screen was cut and I made sure to get a nice bead of hot glue to cover everything and make it nice and smooth with no sharp edges sticking out.

Thats awesome, great job on the whole thing! :) any idea when you are gonna be putting a cham into that wonderful enclosure? :D

Thats awesome, great job on the whole thing! :) any idea when you are gonna be putting a cham into that wonderful enclosure? :D

I just sent you a PM with that info. But so others know, it will be the very beginning of July. My fiance and I are getting married on June 23rd and then going on a 7 day honeymoon and then coming back and within 2 days I hope to have the new little guy for the cage. He should be 3 - 4 months old come this time.

Back
Top Bottom