Crickets breeding accidentally?

WashingtonCham

Established Member
I got two hundred two week old crickets a couple weeks ago and I also have a couple big ones that I got from petco that we’re to big for my cham so I just threw them in there and figured I’d see how long they live. but I woke up this morning grab some crickets and there’s some baby’s in there. I’m trying to get rid of these because I’m switching off crickets to Dubias as a staple and I have no clue how their laying eggs. I have no dirt in there the cage was squeaky clean when I put them in there obviously there’s some cricket crap in there now. But is it possible they laid eggs in the poop? I don’t understand where else they would lay and hatch eggs in here other than that I have a paper towel I switch out every other day with water and egg crates and then their feeder bowl that I change every two days as well.

It's possible that you got a couple younger ones with your 2 week old batch. i've picked up 2-3 week old crickets before that have had a few itty bitty guys that I didn't notice at all until several days later!

It's possible that you got a couple younger ones with your 2 week old batch. i've picked up 2-3 week old crickets before that have had a few itty bitty guys that I didn't notice at all until several days later!
Yah there was some little bitty guys with mine. But these are about the size of a pen head literally look like they were just born and I havnt put any new ones in for over two weeks so no way they should still be that small right?

Yah there was some little bitty guys with mine. But these are about the size of a pen head literally look like they were just born and I havnt put any new ones in for over two weeks so no way they should still be that small right?

I know the big girl I put in there was old enough to lay eggs but I just don’t know where she would have and do they even hatch that fast?

I mean, I guess if you put the wet paper towel in the same place all the time, and eggs were laid on/near it, a couple might make it...? :unsure: to my understanding it takes a couple weeks for eggs to hatch, and they can be fussy with temps and humidity.

I honestly don't know- are you 100% sure they're crickets? I get some tiny hangers on of some variety every once in awhile.

I mean, I guess if you put the wet paper towel in the same place all the time, and eggs were laid on/near it, a couple might make it...? :unsure: to my understanding it takes a couple weeks for eggs to hatch, and they can be fussy with temps and humidity.

I honestly don't know- are you 100% sure they're crickets? I get some tiny hangers on of some variety every once in awhile.
Yah I’ll post a pic when I get home of them. Cuz their so small I don’t see how they could still be that small if they came with my crickets two weeks ago know what I mean. Cuz they grow so damn fast. But yah I’ve had a sponge in there that I soak with water that came with a cricket keeper that’s only thing that’s been in their the whole time maybe that’s the culprit? I didn’t even think about that cuz I don’t move it I just leave it and spray water on it

The two large ones are the small ones I got with the 200 that have now gotten bigger. And then the tiny guys are the new ones. There’s no way they should still be that small after almost 3 weeks if they were in the container of 200 right?

Attachments

• E3713327-9324-4876-A8B9-40A360376472.jpeg
    E3713327-9324-4876-A8B9-40A360376472.jpeg
    110.3 KB · Views: 73
  • 6AA13AE2-C0A5-4626-90F0-BA4857F8BF0B.jpeg
    6AA13AE2-C0A5-4626-90F0-BA4857F8BF0B.jpeg
    101.6 KB · Views: 83
The two large ones are the small ones I got with the 200 that have now gotten bigger. And then the tiny guys are the new ones. There’s no way they should still be that small after almost 3 weeks if they were in the container of 200 right?

Crappy picture sorry my phone was being weird trying to focus but I’d say their lot even the length of a dime less than a week old id think

Crickets do grow slower when kept at room temperature... I know my 2 week olds were still quite small when they reached (allegedly) 4-5 weeks! They were certainly much smaller than the fresh crickets labelled as 4 weeks old at the store.

Who knows!

Crickets do grow slower when kept at room temperature... I know my 2 week olds were still quite small when they reached (allegedly) 4-5 weeks! They were certainly much smaller than the fresh crickets labelled as 4 weeks old at the store.

Who knows!
These guys are on a thermostat at 84 with constant fresh food and water, and my little guys I got with the rest are huge already some to big for my 4 month old cham even. But yah I guess I’ll just take out anything they could possibly lay in. I got red runners on the way and still a few cricket stragglers feel bad just throwing them outside in the cold and their either to big or to small for my cham might just put em in a tupawear and let them live out their lives happily haha. Thanks for your help though :)

Back
Top Bottom