Cricket with yellow eyes? (Warning: Creepy cricket image!)

Ferrah88

I just bought a couple of large crickets for Yuki yesterday, and I noticed that a couple are actually very creepy looking... Normally I am not grossed out by any kind of bug or whatever, but these ones look really odd. I just wanted to know if it was normal! Not all of them have these yellow eyes, but a good 1/3 of the ones in the tub do... (There was only ~20 of them, but still!)

racn4m.jpg

I'm always forced to get big, fat crickets for Yuki. She snaps them up faster than the slightly smaller ones and seems to love crunching them. She doesn't like the light-coloured ones as much either. I don't even have time to put my hand into position before she's sticking her tongue out at it!

Could be normal.. my guess is it's just an alternate gene trait, yellow instead of black eyes. Unless they look like a totally different species compared to the black eye'd ones..

Could be normal.. my guess is it's just an alternate gene trait, yellow instead of black eyes. Unless they look like a totally different species compared to the black eye'd ones..

That's what I thought... but they look so weird and abnormal. They look the same as the black-eyed ones. I just found them really weird and wanted to share/see if anyone had any insight on if it's normal or not! Either way, they kinda creep me out at night when one of them stares out from under the egg cartons...

Looking at that color I see some sort of infection. I would try to figure out the species and determine if yellow eyes are normal.

There are probably 1,000 species of cricket and I definitely don't recognize this one so it could be completely normal for this species.

Either way it is definitely neat looking.

Looking at that color I see some sort of infection. I would try to figure out the species and determine if yellow eyes are normal.

There are probably 1,000 species of cricket and I definitely don't recognize this one so it could be completely normal for this species.

Either way it is definitely neat looking.

The cricket scientific name is Gryllus Bimaculatus (African Crickets). When I look for information of them and yellow eyes, I don't really find much in terms of information. It might be an abnormal eye pigmentation, as I do find images of them with yellow eyes on google images (Although rarely). I hope it's not an infection or anything though, I wouldn't want to feed these off to my cham if there's something wrong with them :(

Anyone else have any ideas?

They are mutants. Most breeder insects develop mutations of some sort if bred for enough generations. Most do not have any overt outward appearances so we don't notice them. My chams would definitely go for them cause they look different for sure. :)

I know you warned us it was creepy, but man you weren't kidding! I'm having nightmares for a week just thinking of those yellow eyes! :D

Crickets are cheap enough. Eat the cost. I wouldnt take the chance of feeding my pet something that could potentially be dangerous unless you can find conclusive evidence that states its normal.

Set them free and we will see if we can have the Cricket Zombie Apocalypse begin...

Ha! Watch for brain eating...

Just a friendly reminder, never release captive animals, even insects, as this can impact native wildlife and gives governments an excuse to ruin something else people enjoy.

Back
Top Bottom