Cricket vs. Locust

Scott85

I was outside today and noticed there are locust and grasshoppers everywhere now. They look more meaty and festive than the plain old crickets. So I got to thinking about maybe catching some and starting a small colony. But I have one question, maybe those in Europe can help here, do they stink as bad as crickets?

I am doing the same thing and so far they are odorless. I would bet that you have grasshoppers because I do not believe there are any locust left in the US. The last place that locust were seen in the US was in the Rocky Mountains, at least that is what I was told by an entomologist. So yea, they don't stink...or mine don't.

-chris

Well guys make sure you keep them for a day so they flush out anything that may be toxic to your cham. Feed them fruit and greens for that day to flush their systems. They don't need to have any water, they get it all from their food.

-chris

Most all the ones I have seen so far are the lime green ones. There are also some larger brown ones that have an orange and black wing when they fly. But those look like they have a thicker exoskeleton on them. I had actually hoped to catch enough of them to start a breeding colony of them and not feed them off untill I have nymphs. But I may try and see their reactions to them first with some that have been suffiently flushed outand gut loaded.

Well guys make sure you keep them for a day so they flush out anything that may be toxic to your cham. Feed them fruit and greens for that day to flush their systems. They don't need to have any water, they get it all from their food.

-chris

so your saying i can feed my chams grasshoppers from my backyard as long as i gutload em and let them flush the bad stuff out, cuz i have a bunch and i know there is a mosquito truck that comes around and fogs the streets once a month or so.

i would really like to feed my chams all of these grasshoppers, seems like a waste of money not to. but ive been scarred of toxins in my neighborhood.

so i can quarantine and gutload for a day then feed em off????????????????

so your saying i can feed my chams grasshoppers from my backyard as long as i gutload em and let them flush the bad stuff out, cuz i have a bunch and i know there is a mosquito truck that comes around and fogs the streets once a month or so.

i would really like to feed my chams all of these grasshoppers, seems like a waste of money not to. but ive been scarred of toxins in my neighborhood.

so i can quarantine and gutload for a day then feed em off????????????????

eepppp! :eek:
I wouldn't if i were you.
Who knows what kind of chemical that permanently stay in those grasshoppers.

Wow yea, don't use those grasshoppers. Who knows what chemicals they may carry!?! If their is a field in a remote area away from highways that you does not get sprayed then you would be safer there.

-chris

Locusts are the best feeder. I find that my cham is more excited about locusts than crix'. I brought 500 medium size locusts and they have lasted ages. I keep them in a good size viv with heating and feeding them with plenty of greens, fruit, hey etc. the only prob of keeping 500 is that although they do not stink they sure do crap every where :D

Phil

locust and grasshopper are considered pests for their ability to devour plants in second.
So, if i'm not mistaken, it's illegal to breed and sell them in the state.

when feeding wild catched grasshoppers or other bugs, aren't you worried about some larva or eggs living inside of it?
Everyone should understand that that's always going to be a risk with WC bugs. I don't really don't think that after cleaning out the gut for a couple of days could cut it....but then again maybe I'm wrong.

If you gather the insects from fields that are in remote countryside areas, i really dont think you have anything to worry about. In your lawn around houses i would definately be cautious but if you have a place to collect them that is all forested area, i wouldn't worry about detoxing them forever.

I was talking about parasites, like those wasp laying eggs in other bugs.

What would happen if a chameleon would eat a grasshopper that had some parasites or eggs inside of it? Would those get diggested? What would happen in the wild?

I'm sure stuff like that does happen in the wild, chameleons most likelly eat bugs that might some some parasite in the wild.

The risk is there but you also have to think about when you buy crickets. Theres always dead crickets in the bins it seems and its filled with poo etc. Thats a breeding ground for bacteria etc so the possibility the bugs you buy have some sort parasite as well. My male panther had a small strain of coccidia and all i had ever fed him was captive bred feeder insects. I pay close attention to washing my hands between touching animals so really the risk is with any bug you feed.

Back
Top Bottom