Cricket virus info?

Just not a fan of having dermestid beetles in my house and room since they can infest my house since they can fly out of the container every time I open it lol
I'm going to look at other suppliers and see if anyone ships without them (reason I really liked petco's crickets lol).

Also on the roaches, I have baby leopard geckos and a baby water dragon and I don't think they can munch on them very easily..adults are 2 1/2 inches O.O I might order them to try them out though

I can't really switch to dubias since I live in Florida they're illegal. Plus I got quite a few reptiles that would be too small to eat them sadly.

I want to try and keep my old tubs but I'm going to build new ones just to be on the safe side.
I'm going to try the banded crickets from Ghann's cricket farm unless they ship with those beetles and worms. Does anyone know if they do that? If they do, anyone know a company who doesn't do that..

I keep my crickets in my house and really don't want those beetles in my house

The Discoid roach is legal here in Florida. I have a colony but my chams are not crazy about them. I have them as a back up feeder incase i run out of crickets.

Mulberry farms's banded crickets got the virus apparently
http://www.mulberryfarms.com/CRICKETS-c12/
Don't know if its the paralysis virus or not, but it shows that banded cricket aren't completely immune..

As for Ghann's, I think they just sell the banded crickets like they advertise. However I can ask before I order since I need new crickets.. I'm losing 20-30 a day.

Just want to weigh in a bit.

The banded cricket, such as is carried by Ghann's now, Gryllodes sigillatus, is a unique species of cricket. Not a hybrid. They are being raised by many cricket suppliers now because they can survive the virus quite well, although they most certainly carry it.

As for the issues that Mulberry Farms is having, I strongly suggest that their Gryllodes are not dying from the virus. Raising the propagating the banded cricket is a bit more difficult than the prior Acheta domesticus.

As noted, the banded crickets not only jump a lot more, and further, when disturbed, but they also can cling to a surface better than Acheta.

Mulberry farms's banded crickets got the virus apparently
http://www.mulberryfarms.com/CRICKETS-c12/
Don't know if its the paralysis virus or not, but it shows that banded cricket aren't completely immune..

As for Ghann's, I think they just sell the banded crickets like they advertise. However I can ask before I order since I need new crickets.. I'm losing 20-30 a day.

I doubt that you are losing them to the virus. Typically, the cricket virus kills the Acheta when about half grown, as a mass die off. This can modify somewhat, but only under pretty unique circumstances in our experience. In any case, when the die-off hits, it kills same-age crickets at virtually the same stage of growth, in about a 2-3 day window max.

I know of no cricket facility that, once infected, was able to eliminate the virus. Many have tried. The only few successes required an entire relocation of the business, with all new equipment, etc. Those that were able to stay in business did so by switching to the Gryllus, and then Gryllodes ssp.

I doubt that you are losing them to the virus. Typically, the cricket virus kills the Acheta when about half grown, as a mass die off. This can modify somewhat, but only under pretty unique circumstances in our experience. In any case, when the die-off hits, it kills same-age crickets at virtually the same stage of growth, in about a 2-3 day window max.

I know of no cricket facility that, once infected, was able to eliminate the virus. Many have tried. The only few successes required an entire relocation of the business, with all new equipment, etc. Those that were able to stay in business did so by switching to the Gryllus, and then Gryllodes ssp.

I'm losing 40 prewing/adults and 40 1/2 inch or smaller crickets a day it seemed to of increased, what do you think it could be? I kinda wanna know before I make the switch to banded crickets (right now I've been using brown house crickets) but if it isn't the virus I think I'll just stick with petco or maybe try LLLreptile's

I'm losing 40 prewing/adults and 40 3-4 weeks old crickets a day it seemed to of increased, what do you think it could be? I kinda wanna know before I make the switch to banded crickets (right now I've been using brown house crickets) but if it isn't the virus I think I'll just stick with petco or maybe try LLLreptile's

Just about impossible to diagnose from here. I've been raising crickets in volume for 12 years, and there is a bit of a science to it. It just doesn't match the virus template. I would view such as Petco as a poor source. I would rate any pet store a poor source. Have you tried a fish-bait shop ? They usually charge less, and have fresher crickets.

I have certainly worked with the virus. Also with the other 2 species (Gryllus and Gryllodes) which have come after the house cricket (Acheta). I have now switched over completely to the banded cricket (Gryllodes), and it took some learning, as they are a bit more demanding to propagate than the house cricket. But after a few adjustments, they are quite prolific.

Just about impossible to diagnose from here. I've been raising crickets in volume for 12 years, and there is a bit of a science to it. It just doesn't match the virus template. I would view such as Petco as a poor source. I would rate any pet store a poor source. Have you tried a fish-bait shop ? They usually charge less, and have fresher crickets.

I have certainly worked with the virus. Also with the other 2 species (Gryllus and Gryllodes) which have come after the house cricket (Acheta). I have now switched over completely to the banded cricket (Gryllodes), and it took some learning, as they are a bit more demanding to propagate than the house cricket. But after a few adjustments, they are quite prolific.

I did post what they are doing before they die if that helps any... and the only fish bait place I have near me..their crickets are in awful condition which is why I went to pet store crickets lol (I had them give me half-eaten crickets..). They might not be perfect but they were way better than the fish bait's ones for me.

Do you have a site that you ordered your crickets from? I only have 22 adults left out of my 250 adults 8 of them are doing the leg stiffening thing, while my babies I have 13 or less left from my 250.. So I'm going to have to go to Petsmart tomorrow but that won't last me very long...

I'm feeding them dark greens, potatoes, and carrots and they are in a tub with a screen lid with egg cartons..Am I doing something wrong? I've been keeping crickets for a little over a year now

I did post what they are doing before they die if that helps any... and the only fish bait place I have near me..their crickets are in awful condition which is why I went to pet store crickets lol (I had them give me half-eaten crickets..). They might not be perfect but they were way better than the fish bait's ones for me.

Do you have a site that you ordered your crickets from? I only have 22 adults left out of my 250 adults 8 of them are doing the leg stiffening thing, while my babies I have 13 or less left from my 250.. So I'm going to have to go to Petsmart tomorrow but that won't last me very long...

I'm feeding them dark greens, potatoes, and carrots and they are in a tub with a screen lid with egg cartons..Am I doing something wrong? I've been keeping crickets for a little over a year now

I truly cannot diagnose your cricket issues from afar. I will also point out that a simple Google search on "Cricket Virus" would have given you more info, more quickly and accurately, then your thread here.

I also do not know where you are located, and who the nearest cricket suppliers are. Again, your computer, and its search engines, are a far better source than a thread here. Not to discount info that can be had here, but you have to use the better resources available to you. There is a lot of good info awaiting your fingertips.

I emailed them, and they replied saying:
"******,

We produce only the Banded Cricket.

--
Regards,

Websales
Internet Sales Division
Ghann's Cricket Farm, Inc."

Back
Top Bottom