cricket question

kmarie

well weve noticed that when we put the crickets in with calypso they are running all over her viv and it seems as if she doesnt like it coz she tries her very best to avoid them so my partner has put the crickets in an open top container at the bottom of the enclosure, is this okay? im worried that she wont know that they are there and wont attempt to eat them!!

Try to make sure that calypso is watching when you put the crickets in the container, she learn that is the place to go to get food. I feed my veiled the same way but the container is on the side of the cage so it is easy for her to learn and find crickets. If the containers top isn't cut big you should make it bigger for her to get them.:)

Make sure the crickets aren't too big for her. They should be about the size of the space in between her eyes. If you just got her it might take a couple of days even a week or so for her to fully adjust to her new home.

using a feeding bowl or container is fine. Place it such that the opening can be seen down into from a favoured perch above. Also, try putting only one or two insects in (either in the cage or in the cup) at a time, so that she is not overwhelmed by a bunch of them.

As Sandrachameleon said, it's best to position the cup/pot just below a branch or vine. Don't use a clear cup though or she might try and zap them through the side or bottom rather than the top and damage her tongue. I put a few crix in a cup for Amy when I first got her and she ate some straight away. The next morning she was sat on the vine in the same place waiting for her brekkie!:D

I agree, cupfeeding is probably your best option. I use plain old tubberware that's ziptied to the cage using uv resistant zipties. My cham was a bit hesitant to the idea at first, but I gradually led him along to the cup by handfeeding (if opposed to the idea of holding the feeder with your fingers you can use a set of tweezers). This method also made him alot more comfortable around my hands, hes become much calmer when it comes time to be held.
Best of luck to you
-Jaz

if you have time, you might be interested in doing this type of cup constructed from a milk jug. it simulates free ranging without actually free ranging the crickets (still stay contained within the cup as long as you construct it right).

The idea is taken from chameleonnews.com tips.

DSCN1594.jpg

DSCN1595.jpg

DSCN1596.jpg

these answers have been really helpful.we have had her nearly 2weeks now and as of yet I havent noticed her eating any crickets at all, we checked the tub and there was still the same amount of crickets in it but we are sticking with it and will continue to place crickets in there until she eats them.she loves fruit flies but crickets are just a bit no no for her for some reason, the crickets are as small as ants so im hoping thats the right size for her.thankyou for helping, got some great advice here from everyone :)

Back
Top Bottom