Cricket Question

pascalsmomma

I typically go through about 60 large crickets a week. I effort to go to petsmart a little less often I had the idea of purchasing large and small crickets and keeping them in separate containers. I will feed my chameleon the large ones until they are gone (aprox one week) Then I will give him the small ones that I purchased. My question is are they the exact same type of crickets as the large ones, just younger? And also how long does it take the small crickets to get to the large size? Thank you in advance!

For years I bought both large and small crickets because I had a variety if different sized lizards. There was always something the right size to eat whatever size of crickets I had.

I think crickets live about 2 months....never really paid close attention to it. If you feed them well they grwo pretty quickly.
As far as I know they are all the same soecies...just different sizes....at least in Canada they are! I used to have them breed "accidentally" in many of my cages (along with superworms). Baby crickets don't have ovipositors or wings so they look different to some degree when young.

You may look at ordering crickets in bulk of 500-1,000 every month from a supplier such as https://flukerfarms.com You may also experiment or research getting a dubia colony started or offer other feeder options such as superworms, mealworms, or hornworms.

Back
Top Bottom