Cricket Question

camchem

Hello All,

Planning on getting a veiled this summer, just a few questions regarding crickets, all replies greatly appreciated in advance.

-how exactly do you transfer them from a cricket enclosure to the chameleon enclosure, I am under the impression they would jump around and try to escape, is this not an issue?

-if i plan on keeping a large amount of them in a modified rubbermaid storage container as an enclosure, how would I catch them to feed the chameleon

-I live in Vancouver, B.C., Canada, any local suppliers or suppliers in general for crickets anyone could recommend?

Thanks again.

I have a cricket keeper I got from petsmart and it has tubes that the crickets go in and when you want to feed you Cham take the tube and shake the crickets out to where you want them

If egg flats are good decoration for a cricket cage. Gives them hiding spots, and they will hang out on there so when you need to take them out, you can just shake them off into your cup. That said, a tall cup or a pitcher is a good holder for transferring crickets, and then you can pour them into the cage, or pick them out one by one if you are giving a specific number.

Egg crates for the crickets to hide in my. The to transport from cricket enclosure to the lions den its paper towel tubes. Its cheap and easy. Hardest thing is to remind the wide to save them. I just keep them in the enclosure with the crickets so I don't have to wait for them to walk into the tubes. So when I grab the tube I put one hand on one side, other hand on the other to keep from escapees and let them loose in the feeder bowl or wherever you want them. If you don't use paper towel tubes then toilet paper tubes work too.

Don't forget you need to dust the gut loaded crickets before giving them to your chameleon.

I use tweezers.....I just grab them out of the bin by a leg or gently around their middle (has to be gentle or they squish lol) and drop them into a cup with my calcium in it...give it a shake and then I cup feed both my boys so I just shake them into the cup.

I live in Burnaby BC :D

Thanks for all the replies everyone, but I'm still concerned about the jumping problem, this hasn't been an issue for anyone? Defianceofexistence, where do you get your crickets from?

I normally get them from King Ed's. Its on Kingsway in Burnaby. Or sometimes pet smart....I don't keep them in abundance like I used to since my boys like a variety so I just get enough to gut load and feed off at a time. I have a colony of roaches so they get more of those.

Honestly I don't have an issue with them jumping away. I just grab them and put them in the cup and they kind of just chill at the bottom....and before they have time to jump I shake them around and dump them in the cage. Of course one will get free every now and then and that's annoying, but eventually it comes out in the open and it gets thrown outside lol

I put a tall glass "tank" together with a screen lid for mine.. crickets cant climb glass so the jumping out is not an issue... I use the thick "paper" egg crates in it....as far as transferring to the enclosure.. I use a small empty fish food container.. I put my dusting in the container... use the container to scoop up how ever many I want...put the lid on the container and shake... no possibility of having crickets roaming around the house...

Thanks again for all the reply everyone!
I'm getting a juvenile male veiled in April/May, just wanted to get my research done, you were all great help, very much appreciated.

Back
Top Bottom