Cricket Proofing Cages

Mine are all aluminum. What I did was use some of the left over aluminum frame pieces and just put a runner on the inside of the cages right behind the hing gap and panel gap. I would post pics but I'm at work.

Hey jdog- could you please post pics of how you did this later on when you are at home?

I'd really like to see how you did it because I'm building a below enclosure right now out in the yard and I've had some bad experiences in the past with fireflies getting into my cages. I want to keep them out- so far I've relied on reptariums, but this is a much larger enclosure (6'x6' and below ground a few feet- I'm trying to make something frost free for keeping tegus or aussie waterdragons or shinisaurus outdoors year round).

I also make a runner were my hinges are but to protect my cham's tail just in case. I said lexan or plexiglass as there both cheap and crickets can't chew threw or on it. Maybe just run another piece across as a door stop to close the gap. I have a small gap on the top of mine but large crickets can't get outta it and if the do my cat loves a good "treat".

Hey jdog- could you please post pics of how you did this later on when you are at home?

I'd really like to see how you did it because I'm building a below enclosure right now out in the yard and I've had some bad experiences in the past with fireflies getting into my cages. I want to keep them out- so far I've relied on reptariums, but this is a much larger enclosure (6'x6' and below ground a few feet- I'm trying to make something frost free for keeping tegus or aussie waterdragons or shinisaurus outdoors year round).

No prob- Check back on here about 6:30-7:00 CST and I should have had enough time to upload something.

Whatever you do, please don't use a tape on the inside of the cage. It could get stuck to the chameleon.

Can you post a picture of the cage please?

sure Ill try and upload pics but it wont be till wednesday because thats when im back at my moms

And next time i build my own cage ill try not to be 13.;) maybe actually put effort into building a cage by myself?

jdog1027 said..."Mine are all aluminum. What I did was use some of the left over aluminum frame pieces and just put a runner on the inside of the cages right behind the hing gap and panel gap."...this is exactly what I was thinking!

They wont escape, they arnt ninjas. I have 2 home made cages with small spaces in-between the frame and the door. I have lost more crickets putting them in then them escaping. Use a feeder cup.

Mike

I have an all-sided mesh cage, i have all the chords from the thermometer and the mister coming through the bottom right of the enclosure. Fully zipped up, it leaves a tiny space (what I thought would be too small for crickets) but fruit flies and about 6 crickets got out. i found one in my bedroom 10 feet away.

The area where the zipper meets the other zipper (closing point) I just stuffed a paper towel in, it filled a majority of the space.

looks a little crappy, but until i build my own enclosure, and i intend to do so after seeing the amazing stuff here, it will do and has done well

(in case anyone has that problem)

Just the "black crickets" bite through, the brown one jump everywhere...
I've had crickets from Petsmart (not black, mind you :rolleyes:) eat through bags, some cardboard, and even some fake plants. I'm sure with persistence they can get through tape and what not.

I've had crickets from Petsmart (not black, mind you :rolleyes:) eat through bags, some cardboard, and even some fake plants. I'm sure with persistence they can get through tape and what not.

I agree, while the black crickets are more aggressive and much more likely to bite a human, I've seen brown crickets chomp their way through the mesh of the Reptarium cage and once, I saw one try to take a bite out of my chameleon.

I wouldn't leave crickets in the cage long enough to eat through and if you leave somethin in there for them to munch on they wont even try to escape.

Hey Mardithephanter, did you fix your cage yet?
got my new cage all hooked up! I laid down some weather strips.
Mardisnewcage006.jpg

Mardisnewcage007.jpg
Mardisnewcage008.jpg
Mardisnewcage009.jpg
Mardisnewcage010.jpg
Mardisnewcage016.jpg
Mardisnewcage017.jpg
Mardisnewcage021.jpg
Mardisnewcage027.jpg
Mardisnewcage027.jpg
Mardisnewcage029.jpg

Love your window shutters, but your screen job lucks a lil' sloppy. Did you use a manual stapler? An electric or an air stapler would make a tighter fit. See how your screen folds to the outside? Fold it inside to look better, just for aesthetics. 7 out of 10...I would also treat the wood with polyurethane so it will not mold.

yes very sloppy.....It was a hand held gun and a piece of poo to work with. I like how the only thing you compliment are my window shutters...:p ;) Im not the best at making it pretty but as long as it keeps crickets in im happy

You may also want to consider re-screening as he gets older. It looks a little small and nails might get caught as he ages and has less space to grab.

For your age it's a great job. :) Much better than I could do!

I can't really tell how big the chameleon is vs. size of the cage, though, do you think it's a little big for him yet?

A full cage picture would be nice. :D

i know but mardi is very stubborn and he doesnt take notice to the crickets in there

Instead of trying to cricket proof the cage, confine the crickets. Don't bother with a little feeding cup either. Get a plastic storage box large enough for the crickets to move around and attract the cham and put it in the bottom of the cage when you want to feed him. Place a branch so he can climb down to the rim of the box, watch and shoot the crix as he normally would if they were free ranging. You can put a little fresh gutload in the box too. I bet it will work.

:p
You may also want to consider re-screening as he gets older. It looks a little small and nails might get caught as he ages and has less space to grab.

For your age it's a great job. :) Much better than I could do!

I can't really tell how big the chameleon is vs. size of the cage, though, do you think it's a little big for him yet?

A full cage picture would be nice. :D

thank you :) I will be moving him back into his bigger cage when he is older. I dont have a camera now but the dimensions are 1x2x3

I tried that feeding idea but every time i would mist little drops would fall in the pan and all of the crickets would decide to crowd in one corner and drownd in 3/4 an inch of water:p

:p

thank you :) I will be moving him back into his bigger cage when he is older. I dont have a camera now but the dimensions are 1x2x3

I tried that feeding idea but every time i would mist little drops would fall in the pan and all of the crickets would decide to crowd in one corner and drownd in 3/4 an inch of water:p

Either put something in the bottom of the feeder bin so the crix can climb up, or tip the bin and punch drain holes in the lower corner.

Back
Top Bottom