Cricket Options

JoeDigiorgio

Avid Member
Looking to expand on my feeders, easier said than done in Florida.

Does anyone know of any farms in the US still selling black crickets or anything other than browns and bandeds? I'd like to add them to my rotation as something larger than banded crickets but smaller than roaches. I'm aware they bite but I'm pretty sure my chameleons won't be afraid lol

Black crickets don't just bite, they are extremely aggressive and will eat your reptiles if you aren't extremely careful. They are also part of the grysallus sp. most of the time since they are field crickets and are annoying to raise since the males can be extemely territorial with each other (meaning they need even more room compared to normal cricks) and they also need higher protein. They generally do not make good feeders.

Black crickets don't just bite, they are extremely aggressive and will eat your reptiles if you aren't extremely careful. They are also part of the grysallus sp. most of the time since they are field crickets and are annoying to raise since the males can be extemely territorial with each other (meaning they need even more room compared to normal cricks) and they also need higher protein. They generally do not make good feeders.

Couldn't agree more Andee! I tried them once with my Verrucosus. I don't normally free range feeders but a female got loose in his cage and laid eggs. These things are extra hardy and I had to actually set traps to catch the babies that hatched because I caught them actually trying to chew on him long before they were even adults - they were barely 1/4" at this point. Was a scary experience and I'll never get them again. Luckily they did no harm but if I hadn't been so diligent of ridding his enclosure of the babies I'm sure they would have harmed him. Nasty things!!!

Well they are so hardy because the gryllus sp. We sell in the US are a native species that does well in low temps I think. Either way they are dangerous as feeders. Absolutely amazing though for cricket fights... which isn't actually as inhumane as it sounds XD

I could put up pics of some faster reptiles they have done damage to, but of course that would require a safety warning on the post etc.

I am already aware they're biters. I hand feed all my chameleons in a 25' long free range. Even if any got loose they'd just end up wild in my back yard so I'm not worried about it.

Anyone know where to buy them?

Apparently according to USDA regulations it's illegal to sell gryllus sp. In the states.... not sure where you are located. It's probably something similar to locusts or grasshoppers since most field crickets or black crickets can be found here as well just a different sub species. So the only places you will be likely to find them is in a safe local field

Apparently according to USDA regulations it's illegal to sell gryllus sp. In the states.... not sure where you are located. It's probably something similar to locusts or grasshoppers since most field crickets or black crickets can be found here as well just a different sub species. So the only places you will be likely to find them is in a safe local field

I'm in south Florida. I tried catching my own but it's almost impossible to catch females. Males are super easy to grab at night with all the calling though.

Well then I would just feed them off as wild caught feeders. You honestly won't find anyone selling them. It's illegal.

Back
Top Bottom