Cricket Murder

BillGTI

Well, today I went to the local pet store and asked for 3 dozen large crickets without asking for the ones that don’t chirp. I came home and deposited them in my cricket bank. Within 15 minutes I have a whole party going on in the cricket bank.

Now my question is there any way to stop the chirping without flushing them down the toilet?

Nope, they are adults now. unless you are going to take the time to seperate the males from the females. Males only chirp. Feed them off as quick as possible.

Males are the ones that do it. If you look at their backsides you will notice some have an antenna that comes directly out of the rear, dead center. These are the females. They make no sound.

You can stick the males in the refridgerator or spray them with water both of these options will slow them down. Catch them and cut of the last segment of their back legs. This is how they are making the sound. It is their mating call that is why they do it.

What Jordan didn't mention is that it is only the males with wings that can actually chirp.

By cutting off the wings you can stop the chirping (or in some cases if you don't get the whole wing off, it still significantly mutes the sound). Just make sure that you use scissors to cut off the wings - if you try to pull them off you might rip out the internal organs of the cricket.

And the wings don't hold any nutritional value anyway.

Of course, if you have a large batch of crickets, this is going to be a time consuming process. Next time make sure you don't buy large crickets - the younger crickets don't chirp.

lol...I spent 3 whole hours looking for the adult male in my cricket bin that was chriping like crazy. I thought I bought all juveniles, but an adult snuck in there.

to me i ahve my cham in my closet( and clothes all over the floor) and i alos have the crix in there but to me it is kinda relaxing at night and makes me feel like im camping, but thats just me and i really love the outdoors.

What Jordan didn't mention is that it is only the males with wings that can actually chirp.
QUOTE]

My bad I alway thought it was the legs. In any event I just keep mine in this thick plastic closest storage bin. They make all the sound they want and I bearly hear it.

You´ll get kind of used to it. Me living in the north just close my eyes and imagine that im in the tropics.

My solution to the "problem" was to switch to raoches a basefeeder. They are quiet, less canibalistic and much calmer. Perfect chamfood!

Males are the ones that do it. If you look at their backsides you will notice some have an antenna that comes directly out of the rear, dead center. These are the females. They make no sound.

Had to chuckle, Jordan. The "antenna" come from the back end of the female is actually her ovipositor - this is where her eggs come from. She sticke it deep into the soil and deposits the eggs. ;)

I use crickets but not that much any more. Glad I now know the name. I really could not figure out how to describe that.

I try not to post sometimes because I know I speak ignorantly on certain subjects. :D

3/4 in wont chirp for awhile and wont die off so fast. But if you trying to breed pinheads you'll need the adult size.

I dont understand why some crazy scientist doesnt genetic engineer some wingless crickets! They managed to make flightless fruitflies - now get to work!

If someone came up with wingless crickets we would all sleep better at night. Although I do hear that camel crickets are chirpless and much meatier. However, I do not have access to these to start my own colony. Does anyone have any knowledge of camel crickets?

Nate

Last edited:
Any advice on what i should do i have too many crickets lol. On the jully 8th reptile show when i purchased my baby panther, optimus, lol i also purchase 500 1/4 inch crikets and i think they are going to out grow him lol. Any ideas lol.

Thinking of commiting cricket murder. If this is the only way how may i go about it? Im not planning on breeding lol.

Last edited:
Unless there is anyone in the nyc area that would like some of various sizes lol some are a little big to feed to my cham lol.

OH MY GOD! They finally hit the market. SILENT CRICKETS! btu alas they ar in Hawaii or the UK. lol Thanks for the post.

Back
Top Bottom