Cricket maintenance.

Char333p

Avid Member
So i bought some medium sized crickets and larger ones for my juvenile chameleon. The medium i kept in cricket keeper for food n larger in breeding bin... why is it my crickets in keeper died within 4 days... and the ones in bin are thriving. Slightly different conditions same food n water crystals...

The ones i kept for food in cricket keeper were in a room about 82 degrees, whyd they die much quicker?? So odd

Better ventilation in the bin would be my guess. Cricket keepers are good for gut loading a handful of crickets for the next days feeding rather than long term storage.

My new chaneleon btw :) ill add his details later this weekend. Crazy work week.. blahh

Attachments

• 20180622_165001.jpg
    20180622_165001.jpg
    284.1 KB · Views: 133
Better ventilation in the bin would be my guess. Cricket keepers are good for gut loading a handful of crickets for the next days feeding rather than long term storage.

Thats the thing the bin their theiving in for breeding them.. the cricket keeper i had 30 medium crickets in there with food n water and i got to use maybe 15 others died within a day n half

Yeah I had no luck either with the keepers, I don't know if it was too small or something or like people said the ventilation. Mine are in . a big bin now and doing very well, over 500.

Ooh okay... thanks for the info ill prob do that then... such a shame though those are so convieninet in size and with those tubes they crawl in..

Seems to be anything that is convienient has issues lol

Ooh okay... thanks for the info ill prob do that then... such a shame though those are so convieninet in size and with those tubes they crawl in..

Seems to be anything that is convienient has issues lol
I know right! I just use a toiler paper, or paper towel roll put it in the bottom of the bin and shake their egg crates and they run right into the rolls lol!!

Crickets are the bain of my existence. At this point, I feed Lucky crickets very seldom. Once in a while, I will buy banded crickets from a local feed store, but I am convinced they are HIS pets that sing to him for a few weeks. I put a few in the enclosure and he must eat them, but for what it's worth, I've never actually seen him eat a cricket.

That’s funny, my chameleon loves and only eats crickets. But, I did feed her a moth for the first time the other day and she seemed to like it.

Crickets are the bain of my existence. At this point, I feed Lucky crickets very seldom. Once in a while, I will buy banded crickets from a local feed store, but I am convinced they are HIS pets that sing to him for a few weeks. I put a few in the enclosure and he must eat them, but for what it's worth, I've never actually seen him eat a cricket.

Let me add to that. " I've never actually seen him eat a cricket"... in the last year, or so. For the most part, his primary feeders are dubia. I supplement with supers, crix, horns and the like. I try to add as much variety to his diet and gut load accordingly.

I had issues with mine dying at first. I've had to do some adjustments. So I keep my crickets in a glass terrarium with a screen top. Have several egg cartons and TP rolls stacked on one side of the cage. On the other side, I have a dish that has a water pack (moisten daily), some fluker's orange cubes, tropical fish flakes, and greens. I clean out the terrarium every couple of days to get their droppings and dead crickets out - I use a paint scraper....I read that somewhere....works great. Replace cardboard things as needed when they get gross. So far, crickets have been doing well!

I keep mine in a huge tub and they end up breeding and have larva:confused:i hate to see the lil larva squirming in there but I guess it’s for more crickets:ROFLMAO:

Back
Top Bottom