cricket keeping question

RealIzeRecognIze

I just ordered 500 crickets forgetting to add egg crates to my order. I went back and realized that the shipping for these things is outrageous from my.feeder shipper. I would usually reuse toilet paper rolls or paper towel rolls and some other cardboard idems from boxes found laying around the house. Well with 500 crickets I don't have very many tp rolls to give them much surface area. I need to get something before they arrive!! What do you guys use or order egg crates from? Or do I even need cardboard really?

go to the store and buy a dozen eggs. Cut the container in 1/2 and stack them one on top of the other. Make sure it is cardboard and not styrofoam egg crate. They EAT styrofoam. i learned the hard way and had to throw away about 300 crickets!

Okay thank you! Hopefully he'll send me one or two with them. If not I guess I'll buy a couple dozen eggs in crates and save my tp rolls. I feel I waste alot already:/

You may even be able to go to a place like Walmart at night when they're usually unloading their stock and ask if they have egg crates or cardboard boxes they wouldn't mind you taking. Also, go to a local reptile store and see if they'll give you their egg crates. At the pet store I work at we get 6-7 boxes of crickets twice a week, and each box comes with 2-3 sheets of egg crate. We throw out most of it and save just a little in case we need to use some, but I'm allowed to take whatever I want from that left over stuff. So see if a local pet store will let you take home what they don't want.

I checked Walmart he said they're usually nasty due to broken eggs. Ill def check this pet store I go to on occasion and never thought to ask its a bit farther than petsmart across the street which has none.. thank-you

Go to a farm supply or feed store. I buy egg crates for my chickens eggs. And I get a dozen sized crate for 30 cents.

As mentioned, check with your local pet store for the egg crates. Mine has a pile of them just for customers, gives me all I want and they still throw bunches out.

I got these lastnight at Walmart from the Guy stocking fruits. They're blue cardboard. Would these be fine you think or have pesticides on them is what I was thinking. IMG_20120625_222357.jpg

I'm sure some pesticides have transfered over just from contact with the fruit. How much is anybody's guess.

Anything that has come in contact with pesticides I certainly would not as they could kill off your crickets and possibly transfer over to your Chameleon. Its better to be safe than sorry.

That's what I was thinking but not what I wanted to hear.. I'm bout to setup my 500+ colony and don't have enough tp and pt rolls:( ill have to see how late that feed store is open.. just now getting home from work

Back
Top Bottom