Cricket housing question

Metalboop

So I'm expecting my new panther on Wednesday. I've been buisy getting everything ready, and I think I'm all set. I have 500 small crickets on the way as well as micro supers, house fly pupae, micro hornworms, and reptiworms. I got my 18 gal rubbermaid with 70 percent of the sides replaced with screen, and some small flat containers for the supers.

My only problem is that after two weeks the only stuff I could scrounge up was ONE toilet paper roll. No egg cartons or paper towel rolls... So my question is is there anything else I could use to give the crickets more living and hiding space? I have tons of cardboard boxes and stuff like that, could I just cut those up and stick em in?

And now that I think of it, do you put anything underneath of the undertabk heater for your crickets? (those of you that use them). I just don't wanna risk a fire or something because it'll be sitting on a folding wood table in my basement.

Thanks a bunch ahead of time guys

You can use cardboard, pieces of bark, be creative and knock yourself out:D
I only incubate the crickets I am breeding, the rest do fine at room temperature. As long as it's not too cold you should be good to go :)

It's a little cold down in the basement. They'd probably be alright for another month or so but when fall sets in it gets down to about 60 down there.

I get nice large egg crates from Jack in the Box for free, all you have to do is ask, and most places are happy to give them too you.

It's a little cold down in the basement. They'd probably be alright for another month or so but when fall sets in it gets down to about 60 down there.

My crickets are in the basement and the winters get cold, below 60 and they do fine.

go to 7-11 or any other convenience store and take some of their cardboard cup holders ... works like a charm :D

Back
Top Bottom